12 MLB players, including Gunnar and Adley, have their contracts automatically renewed by their teams without agreement

SteveA

Just now, Spy Fox said:

I saw this article before and didn’t understand it. Can anyone explain what makes this process different from any other pre-arb player? 

These guys didn't choose to sign the contract that he team offered so they were renewed automatically.   I'm surprised there are only 12 in MLB, I have to think the players that do it are making some sort of a statement.  They have no leverage.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

What’s the bonus pool stuff? I don’t remember anything about that. 

The latest CBA that was signed after the '21 lockout has built in bonuses for pre-arb players who haven't signed extensions and are still getting paid on one year deals at the minimums.   There's a pool that is divided among such players who get a certain amount of award votes or meet some war goals.   About 100 players each year get the bonuses.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-player-bonuses-for-2023-pre-arbitration-pool

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I saw this article before and didn’t understand it. Can anyone explain what makes this process different from any other pre-arb player? 

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

These guys didn't choose to sign the contract that he team offered so they were renewed automatically.   I'm surprised there are only 12 in MLB, I have to think the players that do it are making some sort of a statement.  They have no leverage.

Appears to be something teams have the option to do as a goodwill gesture (not a protest statement on the players side). 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/contract-renewal

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure the Orioles are talking to Boras about it all the time....

Wasn't something to that effect said?

I think it was Boras' attempt at a joke.  Angelos never mentioned extending anyone except in the context of ticket prices would have to go up.  No mention of investing huge profits made when O's had lowest or maybe 2nd lowest payroll in baseball.

• Upvote 1

I get the constant talk about extensions on OH is more about the owner, but we need to remember for an extension to be signed the player must be willing to sacrifice future earnings and the team must be will to take on injury/performance risk. Not every player or team (even ones with the resources) are willing to do this. There is a good chance Gunnar is not interested in an extension. He's never said he's looking for one or that he wants one. His answer has always been he's not been offered and he would look at any offer, not that he wants one. The fierce competitor we see on the field doesn't go away off the field just because he's polite and laid back. I first noticed it when he was asked about SS, where he makes it clear that's where he wants to play. I even wrote before he always answers he wants to play SS, not that he will go wherever the team puts him or whatever is best for the team. My guess its not about the money but he wants to maximize his earnings as a competitor. Once he reaches arb 2, that's when the Orioles will have a better chance of signing him. This is all my opinion though, we'll see what happens. 

Just now, BobP said:

I get the constant talk about extensions on OH is more about the owner, but we need to remember for an extension to be signed the player must be willing to sacrifice future earnings and the team must be will to take on injury/performance risk. Not every player or team (even ones with the resources) are willing to do this. There is a good chance Gunnar is not interested in an extension. He's never said he's looking for one or that he wants one. His answer has always been he's not been offered and he would look at any offer, not that he wants one. The fierce competitor we see on the field doesn't go away off the field just because he's polite and laid back. I first noticed it when he was asked about SS, where he makes it clear that's where he wants to play. I even wrote before he always answers he wants to play SS, not that he will go wherever the team puts him or whatever is best for the team. My guess its not about the money but he wants to maximize his earnings as a competitor. Once he reaches arb 2, that's when the Orioles will have a better chance of signing him. This is all my opinion though, we'll see what happens. 

But the narratives we are hearing from the players is that offers are not being made.

I'd also say that Arb 2 is not a better chance to sign him.  I'd say the odds just get worse the closer a star player gets to free agency since the security of a long term deal is not worth as much.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But the narratives we are hearing from the players is that offers are not being made.

I'd also say that Arb 2 is not a better chance to sign him.  I'd say the odds just get worse the closer a star player gets to free agency since the security of a long term deal is not worth as much.

Have we considered that maybe extensions aren't part of this FO's model?  They are getting insane value for Gunnar (and others) over the next few years.  Why pay market value for a good year or two + the waning years if you believe you can draft and develop comparable talent?