Pitching philosophy question....

cnmilton

Here is a question I have wondered for a while;  why don't Pitchers learn to throw an Eephus pitch?  It was effective for Laven Hernandez and Zack Grenke. It's now real hard on the arm.  It throws batters off at the plate. 

If you combine the Eephus pitch with a high end fastball, it seems to me that this would be highly effective.  Just throw it a handful of times each game, giving the opposition hitters something else to think about

Autocorrect is a wonderful invention.

The delivery of the eephus vs a fastball is vastly different.  Major League hitters will easily recognize the difference and tee off.

Edited by yark14

12 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Here is a question I have wondered for a while;  why don't Pitchers learn to throw an Eephus pitch?  It was effective for Laven Hernandez and Zack Grenke. It's now real hard on the arm.  It throws batters off at the plate. 

If you combine the Eephus pitch with a high end fastball, it seems to me that this would be highly effective.  Just throw it a handful of times each game, giving the opposition hitters something else to think about

I think the effectiveness of a FB/CU combination is much more than just a significant difference in velocity. Most scouts will tell you that they are very interested in a number of issues with the execution of a CU. Does the release point mirror the fastball (tunneling)? Does the pitch have movement? Is the movement significantly different or opposite the predominant movement of the FB? There are a bunch more I could come up with. 

The eephus is a novelty pitch because it is very slow. But it typically is not known for great movement. It is rather obvious when it is thrown (ie not tunneled). And it is not very easy to throw for a strike. If you play golf it's the difference in difficulty between chipping and hitting a perfect lob shot. 

I hope that answers your question.