Are You One Of Those People

RZNJ

Are You One Of Those People   

45 members have voted

1. 1. I think ST stats don't matter but I use them to justify my opinion

They don’t matter for established vets.

They matter to vet guys trying to make the team.

They matter to the young kids trying to make the team although how they carry themselves in all ways matters a ton too.

More than stats though, how do they look doing it?  Are they getting lucky? Unlucky? How is the pitchers arm looking?  Is it building properly?  Are the batters taking good at bats or do they look lost?  Lots of factors involved that don’t come across purely in numbers.

I’m one of those people who pays very little attention to spring training or any kind of practice games for any sport.

Other than box scores what are people even going on? It’s not like many of the games have even been televised or even on the radio for that matter.

IMO practice is for fine tuning/trying to work on improving, real games that count are for performance.

Not guilty but then I've got A LOT of springs under my belt. I said early this spring, that watching spring training games on TV in the past was like watching clothes hang - but it is baseball after a long winter. Have to say, I've enjoyed this year better than most because:

1. The pitch clock has reduced the games to about two and a half hours.

2. We have so many good young players to watch and dream about. 

I use spring training to get excited about the regular season, my favorite players, and dream about what might be in the future. Not as any predicter - except health. 

I try not to but it's happened a few times, so, guilty. 

Mostly my struggle is knowing they don't matter, but still letting them get me worried about a player (mostly pitchers). 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Not guilty.

ST are tacked on to a track record.  A plot point onto a trend line.  

I like seeing pitch mix, spin rates, and velo.  Those things show offseason focus.  It's a bit harder for position players other than physical size (stronger, leaner, legs...).

And don't let @Moose Milliganfool you!  He's got two stats he follows intently:  how the ball comes out of their hands and how different "that" sound echoes off the bat.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Not guilty.

ST are tacked on to a track record.  A plot point onto a trend line.  

I like seeing pitch mix, spin rates, and velo.  Those things show offseason focus.  It's a bit harder for position players other than physical size (stronger, leaner, legs...).

And don't let @Moose Milliganfool you!  He's got two stats he follows intently:  how the ball comes out of their hands and how different "that" sound echoes off the bat.

You’re half right. @Frobbyloved hearing about how the ball comes out of their hands.

I’m here to talk about how different the ball sounds coming off someone’s bat when the variables involved aren’t all that different. I’m sure the ball sounds WAY different coming off Jackson Holliday’s bat because he’s a future Hall of Famer compared to a scrub like Jorge Mateo. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You’re half right. @Frobbyloved hearing about how the ball comes out of their hands.

I’m here to talk about how different the ball sounds coming off someone’s bat when the variables involved aren’t all that different. I’m sure the ball sounds WAY different coming off Jackson Holliday’s bat because he’s a future Hall of Famer compared to a scrub like Jorge Mateo. 

When a ball whistles the Battle Hymn of the Republic when it comes off the bat, then I know the batter is a PLAYER.

• Haha 3

It's on a per player basis.  I agree with @Sports Guy's comment above.  For players trying to make the team and who are on the bubble, it's important.  Moreso the process than the results.  The stats can very easily be misleading.  For vets it's about preparing for the season.  If velo is down or other physical ailments present themselves, then poor results can be worrisome. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They don’t matter for established vets.

They matter to vet guys trying to make the team.

They matter to the young kids trying to make the team although how they carry themselves in all ways matters a ton too.

More than stats though, how do they look doing it?  Are they getting lucky? Unlucky? How is the pitchers arm looking?  Is it building properly?  Are the batters taking good at bats or do they look lost?  Lots of factors involved that don’t come across purely in numbers.

Yeah, this. 

I think the most egregious ST stat I've seen bandied about this year is Holliday's strikeout to walk ratio. I mean, come on. The rest of the eye test says the kid is doing great. Making hard contact, XBH, running the bases well, solid defense, etc. Is he gonna strikeout more than we want as a 20-year-old big leaguer? Probably. But also, maybe not? Because it's a small spring sample. 

Edited by interloper

It's nice to see guys that have been hyped lead the Grapefruit league in XBH... I mean, you'd rather see them hitting the ball hard, taking efficient outfield routes, burying 1-2 sliders, stealing bases than looking totally overmatched.

The results are meaningless, but the data isn't. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m one of those people who pays very little attention to spring training or any kind of practice games for any sport.

Other than box scores what are people even going on? It’s not like many of the games have even been televised or even on the radio for that matter.

IMO practice is for fine tuning/trying to work on improving, real games that count are for performance.

They've actually been broadcast more than you think.  

Also, I attended a bunch of em in person 😊

• Upvote 1