Should Bergesen be in the Orioles rotation to start the season?

JTrea81

Should Bergesen make the ML rotation?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bergesen make the ML rotation?

Brad Bergesen who was EL Pitcher of the Year has looked good early in camp and although he's 23, there seems to be a consensus that this guy has what it takes to pitch in the majors from both the ML manager, AA manager and ML scouting director.

So should he make the rotation, or should we keep him down in AAA?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say a conditional yes. If he continues to pitch as well as he has, I don't see why not. Unless some out of option pitchers like Penn, Pauley, or Bass are pitching well too.

Yes, this is all contigent on whether or not he does well in ST.

I'd say it has less to do with how well Bergesen does as how poorly Penn and Pauley do. If Penn and Pauley show they belong in the majors, there's not much room for Bergesen on the 25-man roster.

Bergesen needs to be in the majors and he needs to be there soon rather than later, but his timeline will be determined by the pitchers without options.

He's pitched, what, three innings?

Are you serious with this? We don't even know if Hill is going to be in the rotation for sure. There's a MONTH of spring training left and you're asking this NOW?

You confound me, JTrea.

I'm not sure how the question is goofy, if you understand it as one that will take some time to play itself out.

If Patton shows that he needs more time to regain his touch and Penn does his annual spring El Foldo, I think the remarks to which JTrea alluded point to the fact that Bergeson has a real shot. From what I have read, I think Trembley sees Bergeson as a tough competitor, perhaps with a but more reliability than some of the other young guns. I can't post links from my Ipod, but I think this was at the heart of what Trembley said explaining his two-inning stint in the "which level of the the organization will have the better rotation" game.

Bergeson doesn't seem to project as the sort of dominant pitcher that that the Big 3 might be, he does project to be a guy who will compete with hitters on the major league level. I just wonder if Kranitz and Trembley already see a repeatability and safety in his delivery and something in his mental makeup that shows he may have less need for some more minor league seasoning.

Time will tell, of course. I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses. And while i think there is definitely a chance he makes the rotation, I certainky hope that others ahead of him in the pecking order make an earlier callup for him totally unnecessary.

Here's a poll I'd like to run -- of the 25 people who voted "yes" or "no" in this poll, how many of you have every seen him pitch, even once?

Nice. So I take it that almost all of us should have no opinions about Uehara then too?

Yeah, this poll is more like placing a bet on the 2010 Super Bowl right now, so it's based on conjecture and in this case many second and third-hand accounts. It's a snow day, lighten up.

I see JTrea backlash is alive and well.

I did vote yes but I probably needed to think about it first. Guthrie and Uehara appear to be locks. The other three seem to come down to Hill, Pauley, Penn, Liz, Bergesen and other (Eaton, Bass, Simon, Hennessey, Waters, whatever).

I'm on record as not being confident at all on Hill. I agree that he'll get the benefit of the doubt, but I'm going to be from Missouri when it comes to this guy. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm also on record as hoping Penn goes to the pen because I want him to re-establish his arm stregnth and hopefully ease into the rotation at a later date.

I do want Liz to get one more shot before moving him to the pen. This would be his make or break time.

Pauley seems to have a good shot for a spot too.

So, I really think Bergesen can and should get a shot soon. Early 09 is all about getting the soon-to-be-passed-up prospects opportunities before the big three get them late this year or next year. Bergesen seems like a logical person to start with (along with Penn and Liz).

Here's a poll I'd like to run -- of the 25 people who voted "yes" or "no" in this poll, how many of you have every seen him pitch, even once?

I haven't, and that's why I voted "No." A good spring could change my mind, for sure. But, right now, he's just a guy who had solid numbers in AA who supposedly only has 2 good pitches. I won't claim to be an expert.

I voted no, not because I think he shouldn't make the rotation, but I think the O's are going to go with the guys who dont have options left... meaning guys like Hill, Penn and Pauley/Hennessey. It probably also wouldn't hurt to see what Brad can do against some better seasoned AAA hitters too.

Archived