The Athletic - MLB insiders rank starting pitchers

dzorange

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If what you are trying to say is that you are OK with him being ranked #25 but think that should be considered a low #1 - high #2 I don't disagree with you.

If you have 30 teams you should have 30 #1 starters.

That's pretty much what I'm saying, although I think #25 is underrating him. I think low-to-mid teens is more accurate, and you could make the case he's better than that depending on what metric you use.

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

When people talk about what number a starter is, they generally don't mean on their team--they're talking about the general ability of the player.

Like you, I’m not a fan of the whole “no. 1, no. 2…” terminology.   As you say, they always seem to underrate starters compared to their actual place in the hierarchy of the actual performance of starters around the league.  

However, I’ve come to accept that the terminology doesn’t refer to where a pitcher would slot on an average pitching staff, but where he would slot on a top-flight pitching staff.  Even with that caveat, I find people are overly stingy with their “no. __” labels.