TT: How both Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo can make the opening day roster

Tony-OH

7 minutes ago, foxfield said:

That’s not the question. The question is which one is worse. Sitting at a higher level or playing at a lower level?  And a corollary question is which way is a better use of service time?

I think for any player you think can be an impact player you want them playing most every day when they come up.   

I’d like to see us move beyond McKenna. But am fine with Mateo and Urias. 

Who do want to make a part time player?

Stowers? Mayo? Kjerstad? Norby?

We need a trade but I get why it hasn’t happened yet.

They aren't going to be sitting, they just aren't going to be playing as often.

They will still be working in ML facilities with ML coaches and experiencing life in the majors.

That way they will be more ready when the time comes for them to start.

If someone isn't talented enough to force their way onto the roster I'm not worried about year six or seven.  Do you care if the 2030 Orioles have the rights to a 30 year old Norby?

I've already stated that I'd put Mayo at third and make Westburg a super utility getting reps in the infield and outfield.

Holliday and Mayo coming in at the end of the game while Wong, Nevin, McKenna start.  It doesn’t make sense if you are looking to take Holliday North with only 3 more spring training days left.  I still think it’s about 50/50 for Holliday and 0% for Mayo.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They will still be working in ML facilities with ML coaches and experiencing life in the majors.

If someone isn't talented enough to force their way onto the roster I'm not worried about year six or seven.  Do you care if the 2030 Orioles have the rights to a 30 year old Norby?

I've already stated that I'd put Mayo at third and make Westburg a super utility getting reps in the infield and outfield.

That’s fair. But that’s not sitting a potential impact rookie. If you think Mayo is ready I’d do it that way too. You would still likely keep one of Mateo or Urias. And they would sit. I’m fine with that. 

Edited by foxfield

People that think Holliday doesn’t make the roster are nuts. They will have him at second and hope he wins ROTY so they can get the pick.  Makes no sense to hope Urias or Wong is better.  Mayo, on the other hand, will likely go down and be told to keep working on his defense.  He won’t love it,but he knows he is part of the plans so it will be fine.  

18 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Be ready, as I think that's the likely result.  It SHOULDN'T be, but I think it is.  

If that happens it would be one of the few times I would wonder what Elias is doing. This is the window to go for it. Put the most talent on the Roster.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Let me make it clear, I don't think this is going to happen, especially since they seem to want O' Hearn on the team. I'm just saying this is HOW you COULD do it and make it make some sense. 

I don't know how you look Mayo in the eyes and tell him Holliday is making the team and he's not. He's older, has more experienced, and has kind of "earned" his look first, but I do think Holliday is making the team unless they are going for long term control.

It’s a pretty easy sell. We need a second base and this year Mayo is blocked by Urias. It’s the same thing that happened to Westburg with Frazier getting the nod. It’s not that big of a deal. Both are super young and Mayo will come up near the trade deadline similar to how they worked Westburg in. If you want to feel bad, look at what Norby has done in the minors ands he’s still going to get leaped by Holliday.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What makes you think his glove is ready for 3rd? 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What makes you think his glove is ready for 3rd? 

Simply listen to the comments from the coaches. Or see it for yourself. Look, they are already making contingencies for if there are struggles or injuries at first like what we saw last year with Mounty. Mayo slides in as depth. There are now multiple ways for him to help out the club down the stretch. But guys, he’s 22. His time will come and it will be this year just not at the start of the year. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They haven't moved him off the position.

I think you hit a point of diminishing returns with what you can learn in the minors.

That doesn’t mean he is the Orioles best option at 3rd. Urias, Westburg and Gunnar would all be superior over him. 

As talented as he is and with his upside he just turned 22. Not like it’s easy hitting big league pitching. 

If you want his bat in the lineup you don’t do it at the expense of defense. He can work on his glove at 3rd. Figure out how good he can be there. 

5 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Simply listen to the comments from the coaches. Or see it for yourself. Look, they are already making contingencies for if there are struggles or injuries at first like what we saw last year with Mounty. Mayo slides in as depth. There are now multiple ways for him to help out the club down the stretch. But guys, he’s 22. His time will come and it will be this year just not at the start of the year. 

They have said he has a “capable glove.” 

I’m not saying he can’t play there I’m saying there are better options now. 

I agree that his time will come. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

That doesn’t mean he is the Orioles best option at 3rd. Urias, Westburg and Gunnar would all be superior over him. 

As talented as he is and with his upside he just turned 22. Not like it’s easy hitting big league pitching. 

If you want his bat in the lineup you don’t do it at the expense of defense. He can work on his glove at 3rd. Figure out how good he can be there. 

You do realize that it isn't all about the glove right?  You can't speak with confidence that Mayo at third would be less valuable than Westburg or Urias when factoring in all aspects of the game.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They have said he has a “capable glove.” 

I’m not saying he can’t play there I’m saying there are better options now. 

I agree that his time will come. 

You aren’t even trying. Per Mansolino: “This year? Big chance. He’s come a long way,” Mansolino said. “He’s doing great. He looks good. Now, we talk about him in the breadth of being a major league option at third base this year.”

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You do realize that it isn't all about the glove right?  You can't speak with confidence that Mayo at third would be less valuable than Westburg or Urias when factoring in all aspects of the game.

It’s an important defensive position. You don’t force feed him over better gloves. This is a team shooting for the WS.  

It’s not a lock the kid has no growing pains with the bat. 

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

You aren’t even trying. Per Mansolino: “This year? Big chance. He’s come a long way,” Mansolino said. “He’s doing great. He looks good. Now, we talk about him in the breadth of being a major league option at third base this year.”

So I guess when I heard Matt Blood on SiriusXm during an interview say those exact words I’m not even trying? 

They are saying he is a major league option. That’s great. 

1)Once again where would you rank him vs the other options 

2)Is it a lock he winds up at 3rd?