TT: How both Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo can make the opening day roster

Tony-OH

39 minutes ago, baltfan said:

People that think Holliday doesn’t make the roster are nuts. They will have him at second and hope he wins ROTY so they can get the pick.  Makes no sense to hope Urias or Wong is better.  Mayo, on the other hand, will likely go down and be told to keep working on his defense.  He won’t love it,but he knows he is part of the plans so it will be fine.  

We will see.  I don't think he makes the roster.   Not because he's not ready,  not because Urias or Wong is better.   But for roster crunch and service time implications.  Hope I'm wrong.   We will see shortly. 

Just now, forphase1 said:

We will see.  I don't think he makes the roster.   Not because he's not ready,  not because Urias or Wong is better.   But for roster crunch and service time implications.  Hope I'm wrong.   We will see shortly. 

No offense, but I hope you are wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So I guess when I heard Matt Blood on SiriusXm during an interview say those exact words I’m not even trying? 

They are saying he is a major league option. That’s great. 

1)Once again where would you rank him vs the other options 

2)Is it a lock he winds up at 3rd?

Read my prior post. And yes, he is a third basemen. His arm is crazy strong and he’s athletic for his size. He will continue to develop the glove but as I’ve proven he has taken a massive step forward with the glove. Does it hurt for him to be able to play first some? No, flexibility gives Hyde more options to play the right guy on the right day. 

So I guess when I heard Matt Blood on SiriusXm during an interview say those exact words I’m not even trying? 

They are saying he is a major league option. That’s great. 

1)Once again where would you rank him vs the other options 

2)Is it a lock he winds up at 3rd?

Read my prior post. And yes, he is a third basemen. His arm is crazy strong and he’s athletic for his size. He will continue to develop the glove but as I’ve proven he has taken a massive step forward with the glove. Does it hurt for him to be able to play first some? No, flexibility gives Hyde more options to play the right guy on the right day. 

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

You act like I am bashing him. The club has superior options over him at that spot. 

He is not the best glove option at 3rd for this team right now. This isn’t complicated. 

If you are a young player trying to make a team built to win now and is this deep where you play matters. If they need his bat he is a phone call away. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

You act like I am bashing him. The club has superior options over him at that spot. 

He is not the best glove option at 3rd for this team right now. This isn’t complicated. 

If you are a young player trying to make a team built to win now and is this deep where you play matters. If they need his bat he is a phone call away. 

That we agree. He will get his shot. Just not to start the year, but it’s a long season. Urias is incredible and knows his role. Some guys, especially young guys struggle when they are used as role players. It’s not easy coming off the bench and not playing every day. Stowers struggled with that, Cowser too. That’s why O’Hearn and Urias are so valuable. They understand there role and are ready whenever their name is called. As Hyde said, “they’ve earned it.”

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

How can you say, with certainty, that the club has superior options?

Gunnar is needed at short.

The combination of Defense + Offense that Mayo provides could very well exceed the value of the other options.  Urias had a 98 OPS+ last year, 106 for his career.  Westburg was at 100.

Of course it isn't a lock that Mayo will exceed their production but he's got a higher ceiling on offense than either of them.

I think you are caught up a bit too much in what you think are his defensive liabilities.

Edited by Can_of_corn
typo

It's not all about the glove.   While he may not be as good with the glove,  I think he outperforms Urias enough with the bat to more than offset any defensive declines.  It won't matter as he's starting in AAA, but he should make the OD roster and getting at bats over the likes of Urias and Mateo.

Don’t have a good feeling about Holliday making the opening day roster after tonight’s game.  It could happen if Wong opts out or if there’s a trade, but with 3 spring games left before opening day, they would likely have him starting next to gunner at this point.

5 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

What I don't understand with all our up and coming prospects, why does Mateo and Urias need to be on this team? 

Mateo can win a game on the base paths, as a utility option at SS and more likely CF too!

He is faster than 25 other teams starting roster.

He is above replacement level, overall as a FT starter,  with gold glove level defense over an entire season and shown flashes with the bat.

In other words, he is the best kind of impact utility player most teams would like to have.

Urias is a valuable defensive replacement at 2B  and 3B, or 1B/SS for a brief roster option. He can OPS over .700 in this role.

Urias and Mateo also have multiple years of mlb experience. Something that regular and utility players need for a playoff caliber team.

Mateo was 5-5 against the Ranger's in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Don’t have a good feeling about Holliday making the opening day roster after tonight’s game.  It could happen if Wong opts out or if there’s a trade, but with 3 spring games left before opening day, they would likely have him starting next to gunner at this point.

Agreed. He should have already had a bunch of starts next to Gunnar by now. Two straight games on the bench when he could have easily started at 2B alongside Gunnar for one or both games is not indicative of someone starting the season with the team. 

9 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Mateo can win a game on the base paths, as a utility option at SS and more likely CF too!

He is faster than 25 other teams starting roster.

He is above replacement level, overall as a FT starter,  with gold glove level defense over an entire season and shown flashes with the bat.

In other words, he is the best kind of impact utility player most teams would like to have.

Urias is a valuable defensive replacement at 2B  and 3B, or 1B/SS for a brief roster option. He can OPS over .700 in this role.

Urias and Mateo also have multiple years of mlb experience. Something that regular and utility players need for a playoff caliber team.

Mateo was 5-5 against the Ranger's in the playoffs.

I don't disagree with all of it. But I disagree over a fair amount.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How can you say, with certainty, that the club has superior options?

Gunnar is needed at short.

The combination of Defense + Offense that Mayo provides could very well exceed the value of the other options.  Urias had a 98 OPS+ last year, 106 for his career.  Westburg was at 100.

Of course it isn't a lock that Mayo will exceed their production but he's got a higher ceiling on offense than either of them.

I think you are caught up a bit too much in what you think are his defensive liabilities.

Urias won a GG at that spot and is on the roster. Why is he on the team if you are going to play Mayo over him?

Plenty of real good hitters had an OPS if around 100 their first year. Devers was at 94 his first full year at his age 21 season.  

I’m not arguing about his upside. I’m pointing out how the roster is built and how they operate.