Gunnar to play SS full time

Frobby

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I thought this was already established. Who was going to play SS over him?

Yeah I thought so too. Its not like Mateo was going to take the job from him at this point. Hollidays been getting mostly work at 2B.

It's basically been a given that Henderson was going to get most of the time at SS this year.

Hyde said he'd "primarily" play SS.  He'll still play 3b at times...but obviously way less and probably not starts.

Edited by CP0861

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It would be helpful if you would identify what those OPS numbers are.  They’re career splits vs: LHP.  All I can say is, all those numbers suck.  

Sorry, thought it was implied.  No disagreement on the lackluster OPS vs. LHP.  And they're clearly outmatched vs. RHP compared to our starters.

Add in pinch runner value and some defensive metrics (compared to say Urias in CF or SS and McKenna at 2B) and that extra roster spot can maybe give Mayo a shot in the landmark case of Sooner v Later.  

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Don't see the reason to have Mateo on the 26

Evidently Jorge Mateo is to Mike Elias as Kevin Youkilis was to Billy Beane.  All we're waiting for now is the offensive breakout.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This idea that we need to keep Mateo to hit lefties is just stupid.  Outside of his hot April last year, he has hit lefties poorly.

It is stupid, but they aren't keeping him around for his ability to hit lefties.  The Orioles emphasize defense, and they like Mateo's versatility and defensive abilities.  So, no matter where Mateo fills in for someone, yes, he's a weaker bat,  but with the other pieces that will be around him, I think the O's are willing to give up some offense to get his athleticism on the field at various positions while regulars rest.  That's the part that is not really stupid if defense is a focus.  

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I agree he won't be platooning. I disagree that he's looked fine at 2B. I saw him botch a play he should have made a couple days ago. Took a weird angle on it and then couldn't get it out of his glove. I think he'll be fine most of the time if he has to play 2B, but I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with that. And why would he play there much? We have two right-handed 2B on the roster already in Westburg and Urias. 

You could very well be right.  Unless Urias is traded....which is what I'm hoping for so we can make room for some younger talent.

32 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Don't see the reason to have Mateo on the 26

You need bench players on the team that are versatile, so Mateo fits the bill.  Yes, there is better talent in the organization, but you do need players that will only get 250-300 at bats here and there, and won't burden you defensively when he's playing.  That's the reason.  There are way too many guys that need everyday at bats.....Mateo isn't one of them, because getting those doesn't make him any better of a hitter.  But he does fill an important role.  And, he's more versatile than McKenna or Urias.

28 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

You need bench players on the team that are versatile, so Mateo fits the bill.  Yes, there is better talent in the organization, but you do need players that will only get 250-300 at bats here and there, and won't burden you defensively when he's playing.  That's the reason.  There are way too many guys that need everyday at bats.....Mateo isn't one of them, because getting those doesn't make him any better of a hitter.  But he does fill an important role.  And, he's more versatile than McKenna or Urias.

This debate has been beaten to death, but I think Urias is more valuable than Mateo. 

Over a very similar number of ABs:

A career .738 OPS/7.3 rWAR vs a career .633 OPS/4.5 rWAR

Urias compliments Westburg well, since they can both play 2B or 3B and they have reverse splits from one another. Urias also graded as a plus defender last season at 1B. 

According to Fielding Bible, Urias has been worth 18 DRS over the past two years. Mateo has been worth 16 DRS over that time.

I'd like to see the O's (eventually this year) move on from Mateo. Then make Urias the versatile veteran bench guy who makes some starts against righties. Urias has also shown he can hit well enough playing part time, whereas Mateo hasn't. 

Edited by TommyPickles
  • Upvote 1