Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think most people understand the agent is the employee. I also think most people understand that Boras, while being the employee is generally hired by people who are looking for max contracts, not "snuff deals" in his words. I'm fairly confident, being a lowly employee, he has their ear.

Folks commonly act as if Boras is the boss in the relationship. 

Do something to convince Jackson to want to stay.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In 20+ years of being an agent not a single Boras client, none, ever, signed a deal with less than 2 years of service time. I would bet my house that at some point, players were offered very nice deals and turned them down. I find it near impossible that every single pre-arb deal was a low-ball.

Edited by Malike

32 minutes ago, Malike said:

In 20+ years of being an agent not a single Boras client, none, ever, signed a deal with less than 2 years of service time. I would bet my house that at some point, players were offered very nice deals and turned them down. I find it near impossible that every single pre-arb deal was a low-ball.

No Boras client had accepted a qualifying offer until Wieters did.  Folks here thought it would never happen.

Getting a prospect to sign a long term extension is a 2 way street. We don't know how this Front Office or new Ownership group views the risk assessment + cost/benefit analysis in doing such a thing. (Example: Doing such a thing backfired on the Tampa Bay Rays front office.)

Any conversation about extensions or multi-year FA contracts is no doubt mooted by the transition to new owners. It could be months before Elias can even think along those lines. 

55 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Any conversation about extensions or multi-year FA contracts is no doubt mooted by the transition to new owners. It could be months before Elias can even think along those lines. 

which is a good thing, IMO. Less of a distraction for players to have to deal with. 

S

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

The pick is not guaranteed because Holliday can finish top two. It is only guaranteed if they plan to keep him down so long he has no chance at ROY. I think the smartest way to play it would be to give him a shot at RoY & pick on opening day, then demote him for a month if he doesn't get off to a hot start. That is the only way to guarantee pick or extra year without keeping him down til August.

Agree.  This makes way more sense compared to what they are doing.

Which I cannot wrap my head around.  It honestly seems like the worst of a game theory win win lose scenario. 

5 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

S

Agree.  This makes way more sense compared to what they are doing.

Which I cannot wrap my head around.  It honestly seems like the worst of a game theory win win lose scenario. 

Doing it that way uses a spot on the 40 man.

When Gunnar struggled vs lefties last year, one of the causes given is that he really doesn’t face much quality LH pitching in the minors.

One of the stated reasons for Holliday being sent down is so he can learn to hit lefties better.

Ummmm, something doesn’t add up there. 

8 hours ago, Malike said:

Holliday and Gunnar aren’t turning down deals that likely pay them the same or similar money as to what they will make the next 7-9 years. 

41 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Don't know if this was a good baseball decision

Don't know if this was a good financial decision

I do know that I will never buy a ticket to watch Mateo or Wong play baseball.

I predict Mateo thrives in superutility role and his bat contributes way beyond expectations in 2024. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well Boras is the most difficult agent when it comes to contract demands. Definitely notorious for that reason.