Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

13 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would definitely prefer seeing Norby on the roster getting at bats than McKenna 

Where does Norby play? 

I get the idea that his bat may be a fit but you don’t get a RH DH. Roster isn’t big enough for that luxury. I think he has a shot to be on the team in the future. Not saying that 

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't a large percentage of his strikeouts happen early in spring training?

I can't find the game logs, but that is a very high percentage.  There is reason to believe Urias wouldn't perform that badly.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a ticket to watch any individual player play baseball.  I’m an Orioles fan and I pay to see the team play.  

That said, and although I would have been perfectly happy if we’d moved on from Mateo, there are times when he is highly entertaining to watch.  When he’s running at top gear, like on Adam Frazier’s game-tying double in the Sept. 17 Tampa game, he’s jaw-dropping.  And he can be pretty spectacular on defense, too.    

I hear you with regards to the Oriole, but I went out of my what to watch Bonds play any time he came into the area.  I splurged a bit to see Ohtani play(and pitch) up close last year.  I was a big Griffey fan and would go out of my way to see him play.  I think those are the only 3, though.  

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

5 of his first 7 PA, I think someone said.  How many were vs. lefties, I don’t know.  

Even if they were all against lefties.  That would still mean he struck out 4 of 8 times in his next 8 at-bats vs. lefties

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This got me wondering, what is the fewest games a position player has played and still finished in the top 2 for ROY?  I looked at all the voting from 2000 to now (the short 2020 season excluded):

Gary Sanchez 53 games

Trea Turner 73

Yordan Alvarez 87

Ryan Howard 88

Wil Meyers 88

Carlos Correa 99

Francisco Lindor 99

Shohei Ohtani 104

Buster Posey 108

Paul DeJong 108

Jose Iglesias 109

Ronald Acuna 111

Ryan Braun 113

Adley Rutschman 113

Michael Harris II 114

Juan Soto 116

Jason Bay 120

So where would you draw the line if you were trying to ensure Holliday played as many games as possible without finishing in the top 2 for Rookie of the Year?

Honestly it would depend.   Are there two or three rookies tearing it up,  thus making it harder for Holliday to catch up?  Or is 2nd place wide open because one rookie is crushing it,  but no one else is?  

Looking at your numbers above,  it looks like playing less that 100 games would be a fairly safe bet.   Only 7 players in 22 years played fewer games than that and finished in the top 2.  So that would be my rough baseline,  depending on what other rookies are doing.   Maybe 110 would be ok... maybe only 90.  Would have to watch the league and see how others are performing. 

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Don't know if this was a good baseball decision

Don't know if this was a good financial decision

I do know that I will never buy a ticket to watch Mateo or Wong play baseball.

None of us buy tickets for that. 

41 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I hear you with regards to the Oriole, but I went out of my what to watch Bonds play any time he came into the area.  I splurged a bit to see Ohtani play(and pitch) up close last year.  I was a big Griffey fan and would go out of my way to see him play.  I think those are the only 3, though.  

I know there are people who do choose their games to see certain players; generally, I’m not one of them.  That’s all I’m saying.   I will admit though that last year I bought tickets to Grayson Rodriguez’s home debut.  

Holliday should play a minimum of 2/3 of his Norfolk games at 2B, right? 

1.  Do you think it plays out that way?

2.  Does Norby get the position change to LF?

3.  With Stowers, Kjerstad, Haskin, Johnson, and Burdick, how does that happen?

Just now, Frobby said:

I know there are people who do choose their games to see certain players; generally, I’m not one of them.  That’s all I’m saying.   I will admit though that last year I bought tickets to Grayson Rodriguez’s home debut.  

Fiorentino?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1. No. It takes away the stated reason for Elias to keep him down. You know in May Elias wants to be able to say he needs more time at 2B, while Holliday continues to play SS. 

2. Part time. See above. He’ll still play a lot of 2B. 

3. Stowers and Kjerstad are the only must plays. Haskin in CF is preferred but not necessary. Someone needs to be given a 1B glove, but that will take away Mike’s reasoning for keeping Kjerstad down next spring. 

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This is a drop in the bucket when it comes to opening up space, but Kjerstad should get significant reps at 1B

53 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I can't find the game logs, but that is a very high percentage.  There is reason to believe Urias wouldn't perform that badly.  

Sure, in April.

But he's going to have to make the adjustment to ML pitching at some point.

You are just kicking the can down the road.

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

This is a drop in the bucket when it comes to opening up space, but Kjerstad should get significant reps at 1B

The few times I saw him on tv at Bowie, he looked like a fish out of water.   I see 1B as Basallo’s by next summer.   Kjerstad, if he stays an Oriole is RF/DH.   

Trade Stowers.   LF Norby. CF Burdick RF Kjerstad.   DH Haskins.   All over:  Johnson

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, in April.

But he's going to have to make the adjustment to ML pitching at some point.

You are just kicking the can down the road.

Not really kicking the can.  He can work on it in the minors.  They are in win now territory.