Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Good thing I didn't say that.

But they aren't going to eliminate the need for an adjustment period.

You can only improve so much facing inferior competition.

Here’s what Elias said on this topic:

“Because of how fast Jackson moved and his lack of professional experience ... he’s not faced a ton of major league-quality or even Triple-A-quality left-handed pitching, and that’s something that’s going to be thrust in his face when he’s in the American League East – whether that’s a starter, whether that’s the reliever they bring in to match up against him in the seventh inning.

“I don’t expect him to master left-handed pitching in Triple-A, but it’s just something, if you look at his experience thus far in the minor leagues, he just hasn’t had a lot of,” Elias said. “We saw here in camp, too, as we were evaluating him, and I think it’s something that’s going to be important so that he’s not a part-time contributor in his early tenure here with this team, because we’ve got a lot of other talented infielders. We’ve got some really good ones from the right side of the plate, too, and Brandon (Hyde) is going to be out there pushing buttons, matching up, trying to squeak out wins on a nightly basis.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-on-holliday

What I take away from that is (1) Holliday hasn’t seen a lot of even AAA left-handed pitching, and (2) while Holliday can’t fully master LHP at AAA, Elias wants him to go through that step so that he’ll be better prepared than he is now to make the final adjustments when he’s up in the majors.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

“Because of how fast Jackson moved and his lack of professional experience ... he’s not faced a ton of major league-quality or even Triple-A-quality left-handed pitching, and that’s something that’s going to be thrust in his face when he’s in the American League East – whether that’s a starter, whether that’s the reliever they bring in to match up against him in the seventh inning.

“I don’t expect him to master left-handed pitching in Triple-A, but it’s just something, if you look at his experience thus far in the minor leagues, he just hasn’t had a lot of,” Elias said. “We saw here in camp, too, as we were evaluating him, and I think it’s something that’s going to be important so that he’s not a part-time contributor in his early tenure here with this team, because we’ve got a lot of other talented infielders. We’ve got some really good ones from the right side of the plate, too, and Brandon (Hyde) is going to be out there pushing buttons, matching up, trying to squeak out wins on a nightly basis.”

What I take away from that is (1) Holliday hasn’t seen a lot of even AAA left-handed pitching, and (2) while Holliday can’t fully master LHP at AAA, Elias wants him to go through that step so that he’ll be better prepared than he is now to make the final adjustments when he’s up in the majors.

This explains some more why he likes to leave folks in AAA for as long as he has. Thanks, Frobster.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for sharing.

We can hate it all we like, but I do give the man credit for making the unpopular choices.

• Upvote 3

Well, I suppose I’m over the initial annoyance, but I’m still annoyed.

but more pressing now is who DOES make the team? Is Nevin really a possibility? Wong?

I guess Cowser makes it but I would like to see Large Adult Infielder Coby Mayo too, and maybe Not As Large Adult outfielder Stowers as well.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, I suppose I’m over the initial annoyance, but I’m still annoyed.

but more pressing now is who DOES make the team? Is Nevin really a possibility? Wong?

I guess Cowser makes it but I would like to see Large Adult Infielder Coby Mayo too, and maybe Not As Large Adult outfielder Stowers as well.

This is where I'm at now.  I figure Cowser has made the team, which leaves one spot for Wong, Nevin and McKenna.  For some reason it won't bother me so much if McKenna makes the team, because you can at least argue that he has a role --backup center fieder who can give Mullins relief against lefties.  Wong and Nevin don't have a role that couldn't be filled better by Holliday or Mayo. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Thanks for sharing.

We can hate it all we like, but I do give the man credit for making the unpopular choices.

I heard one very smart rich person say the real key to success is willing to be the total opposite of everyone else, and yet be right about it.  So far he has proven that, and its wild to me the number of nobodies telling one of the best GMs hes wrong just because they dont like one decision.

Truly great leaders arent afraid of going against the popular vote, confident that time will prove them right.  Its tough to do that, and even more so in win-now professional sports.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Hays injury opens up McKenna spot

At this point they're saying it's a shoulder contusion, which usually doesn't require an IL stint. But if he does go on the IL before opening day, I agree that McKenna would most likely take his place on the roster.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s faced 27 AAA lefties with ~30% K rate.

4 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

Andruw Jones came up in 1996. Service Time gaming didn’t become a thing until the CBA that went into effect for the 2012 season.

Fair enough but Atlanta also has all of their stud young players locked up for the next 5 years or so. My point is that we do things more concerned about service time rather than putting the best players on the field. 

I thought with the ownership change that Elias would change his approach.  It doesn’t seem that way. 

6 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Fair enough but Atlanta also has all of their stud young players locked up for the next 5 years or so. My point is that we do things more concerned about service time rather than putting the best players on the field. 

I thought with the ownership change that Elias would change his approach.  It doesn’t seem that way. 

The ownership hasn't changed.  Rubenstein and his partners aren't yet in a position to order money spent.  MLB needs to formally sign off and the deal has to close.

6 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree with go O’s. I don’t agree that Elias and the org are above criticism or that I think that it is best for them to be tone death to the fans.

I agree that I want them to win like you, but always making the cheapest decision possible is not the way to get there. If we want to sustain excellence, we are going to have to spend. 

Spending is determined by owners and until we know the new edict of the new ownership there is no doubt we are operating on the cheap. 

And I am fine with criticism of Elias. But his results so far are damn near beyond reproach. All I am saying is he has earned the benefit of the doubt. He is trying to win within the confines he has been given. It’s a long time until October. Let’s let the season progress and the answers may unfold. 

• Upvote 1