Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Jackson was on base 5 times today and no one noticed.  I bet if he struck out 3 times and went 0 for 4 there would have been 10 posts.  Maybe not the greatest pitchers he was facing, but still mlb pitchers and several different ones.  No denying that Jackson had a rough rookie season.  I hope today was a sign of a lot of good things to come and Jackson will be Baltimore's leadoff hitter for years.

I don’t think this is true. He’s had a lot of games as you described and there haven’t been these ten post reactions to said games. He’s going to hit. Would it be nice if he was producing this year like the other rookie Jacksons? Of course but no one (that I’ve seen) on this board is rooting against him or suggesting that he won’t be a high caliber major league hitter. His defense is another thing but he’s going to figure it out at the plate at the MLB level.

You’re right though - his nice game should have garnered more attention, especially with the way the year has largely gone for him.

I’m not sure what role he has in the postseason other than maybe as a pinch runner. Right now I don’t think I’m putting him ahead of any of the lefty bats on the roster. I guess he’s the only other ‘SS’ they have on the big club so he’s surely going to fill a spot but I can’t think that he plays ahead of anyone, including Rivera right now. It will be interesting to see how Hyde and Co. deploy Holliday come Tuesday. 

Edited by banks703

2 hours ago, joelala said:

He’s also replaced the leg kick with a toe tap. At least with two strikes I noticed. 

I rewatched his at bats - he was doing it consistently!  It seems like it's helping with his timing.   He was consistently late to anything 95+, which shouldn't happen with someone that's as athletic and has as smooth as swing as he has.

17 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Jackson was on base 5 times today and no one noticed.  I bet if he struck out 3 times and went 0 for 4 there would have been 10 posts.  Maybe not the greatest pitchers he was facing, but still mlb pitchers and several different ones.  No denying that Jackson had a rough rookie season.  I hope today was a sign of a lot of good things to come and Jackson will be Baltimore's leadoff hitter for years.

Nobody noticed because yesterday's game was meaningless and a lot fewer people watched than usual.   If Jackson had played that game on Friday I think a lot of people would have noticed.  

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He looked good in his few attempts at SS too. Showed a good arm a few times.

LOL You and this JH SS shtick. I’ll bite.

On which of those plays did he ‘look good’? The infield bobble that should have been an error but they awarded Castillo a hit? Was it Royce Lewis’s pop out to short or his liner to SS where JH looked good? Maybe the pop out to short by Michael Helman? The balls that get right to a major leaguer should be fielded cleanly 100% of the time. On none of those plays did he ‘look good’ 

He made exactly one clean putout on a ground ball but even that was an adventure for him. Thank goodness the one clean putout was in a 6-0 game and bad attitude Austin Martin hitting.

The kid had a great day at the plate yesterday but he looked terrible in the field.

2 minutes ago, banks703 said:

LOL You and this JH SS shtick. I’ll bite.

On which of those plays did he ‘look good’? The infield bobble that should have been an error but they awarded Castillo a hit? Was it Royce Lewis’s pop out to short or his liner to SS where JH looked good? Maybe the pop out to short by Michael Helman? The balls that get right to a major leaguer should be fielded cleanly 100% of the time. On none of those plays did he ‘look good’ 

He made exactly one clean putout on a ground ball but even that was an adventure for him. Thank goodness the one clean putout was in a 6-0 game and bad attitude Austin Martin hitting.

The kid had a great day at the plate yesterday but he looked terrible in the field.

Can't have a 1-1 end up at second base.  😉