Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Right and DRS has him at -1. The data in 3 games is pretty meaningless, but it appears to me, that several balls hit his way that he didn't make an attempt on could have possibly been at the least knocked down. I'm sure the ball gets on him differently at 2B after being at SS for so long, and I'm not worried, but he's watched some balls just go by without even trying to make an attempt on a play.

You think there have been catchable balls that he didn’t attempt to get?    Hard to believe.

I was at today’s game:  A small play I didn’t like today occurred in the first inning.  Hoskins hit a ball off the wall in LCF, Cowser picked it up and whirled to throw, but Holliday hadn’t gone to cover 2B.   Cowser threw it to Gunnar instead well to the LF side of 2B.  I doubt there would have been a close play at 2B, but Holliday needs to be there presenting Cowser with a target.   Not sure if the announcers commented on this.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm glad he got a hit, but if Hoskins wasn't holding a runner it's a groundout to first base, which is where most of his balls in play have been, groundouts to the right side. I'm not worried, he'll adjust.

Anecdotally, I saw him play in Aberdeen on Father’s Day last year and I feel Ike 3 or 4 of his hits were just balls that went in between the first and second basemen.

1 hour ago, Orioles Jim said:

Anecdotally, I saw him play in Aberdeen on Father’s Day last year and I feel Ike 3 or 4 of his hits were just balls that went in between the first and second basemen.

That's usually what hits not over the wall are.  Hit where the is no fielder.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That's usually what hits not over the wall are.  Hit where the is no fielder.

I meant, specifically, grounders that went between the first baseman/second baseman.

Ones where you wonder if major league caliber first and second basemen might not let through. 

1 minute ago, Orioles Jim said:

I meant, specifically, grounders that went between the first baseman/second baseman.

Ones where you wonder if major league caliber first and second basemen might not let through. 

Well, they let this one through.  It was a 101.4 mph sharp grounder with a .370 xBA.   Nothing cheap about that hit.   The kid has struggled enough that we don’t need to minimize the one hit he has gotten in the massive four games he’s played.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, they let this one through.  It was a 101.4 mph sharp grounder with a .370 xBA.   Nothing cheap about that hit.   The kid has struggled enough that we don’t need to minimize the one hit he has gotten in the massive four games he’s played.  

It’s the Hangout way, at least for some posters. If you try hard enough you can find something negative in every positive!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was at today’s game:  A small play I didn’t like today occurred in the first inning.  Hoskins hit a ball off the wall in LCF, Cowser picked it up and whirled to throw, but Holliday hadn’t gone to cover 2B.   Cowser threw it to Gunnar instead well to the LF side of 2B.  I doubt there would have been a close play at 2B, but Holliday needs to be there presenting Cowser with a target.   Not sure if the announcers commented on this.  

I don't recall any commentary on that play. What did you think of the double steal play? Seems like that was possibly on Holliday but it was hard to tell from the views they presented.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There was some grumbling also about Adley's double play ball even though that was a 100.6 EV. Of course if that one gets through everyone's cheering.

Honestly the hype around Holliday is getting really stupid.

I was listening on the radio last night and Ben Wagner (new guy) was doing the call.  He's been OK so far, but during that 7th inning while the O's were rallying, I swear all he talked about was Holliday getting his first hit.  It was almost like the fact that we had rallied to take the lead was secondary.

Even Founding Father Adley didn't get this much hype.  Is it just because he's Matt Holliday's kid?  

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't recall any commentary on that play. What did you think of the double steal play? Seems like that was possibly on Holliday but it was hard to tell from the views they presented.

I was in the bleachers yesterday.  My take was that Holliday got a late look and at that point made the right call to just get the out.  I dunno...  

Whether or not it's on Holliday, it's like the scouting report is to push Holliday's defensive chops just to see...

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I watched the play on replay.  I couldn’t see where Holliday was when Cowser got the ball but it didn’t look to me like Cowser wanted to throw it to the bag.  Also when the throw went into Gunnar, Holliday was already lined up behind him to backup the relay throw.   

41 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

There didn't appear to be a play on, Adley's throw wasn't good-low and  to the SS side-Brewers knew they could run on them.  Great execution by the Brewers poor by the Orioles.    

31 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I was listening on the radio last night and Ben Wagner (new guy) was doing the call.  He's been OK so far, but during that 7th inning while the O's were rallying, I swear all he talked about was Holliday getting his first hit.  It was almost like the fact that we had rallied to take the lead was secondary.

Even Founding Father Adley didn't get this much hype.  Is it just because he's Matt Holliday's kid?  

I chalk it up to Facebook/twitter. Joey Ortiz was the first real darling of Facebook. People on those sites tend to overreact more so than here. It’s the whole “throw the bums out, someone else must be better” mentality. 

39 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I agree it's ridiculous, and re: the bolded part... in short, yes. It's a confluence of stuff - Matt Holliday being his dad, the media's obsession with the number thing and trotting out Cal to watch all his home games for little more than PR reasons, Holliday being 1:1 and his age. It's really been pretty gross IMO. It's like some contrived passing of the baton from Cal to Holliday and it honestly doesn't even make that much sense. It's been really off-putting for me. 

I hope now that that first home series is over with, fans and the media and the organization just tone it down and let him play. 

Edited by interloper