Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, deward said:

His avg exit velocity and hard hit % were both above MLB average last year, per Statcast. 

There are a lot of guys behind him that aren’t going to be making  hard contact at MLB average. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday playing SS today btw.  He made a nice play going to his right but also has a throwing error.

This didn’t make any sense to me. He was sent down to get more experience at 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

This didn’t make any sense to me. He was sent down to get more experience at 2nd. 

Because they aren’t closing the door on him being a SS even if he’s not likely to be a SS this season. (In the majors)

Edited by Sports Guy

17 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Because they aren’t closing the door on him being a SS even if he’s not likely to be a SS this season. (In the majors)

During spring training Hyde said they were going to “keep him warm” at SS.   I guess that’s the plan at Norfolk.  I’m guessing he’ll play 2B 2/3 of the time, SS the rest.  You could argue for him to just focus exclusively on 2B if that’s where he’s going to spend most of his time in the majors, but I can also see why they’d like to mix in some SS.

On 3/31/2024 at 5:17 AM, baltfan said:

He makes a lot of soft contact for whatever reason. 

Factually incorrect. His hard-hit % and average exit velo are both red in statcast and well above the ML average. He's not going to be Gunnar, but he has a history of hitting the ball hard in both the minors and majors. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

The fact that he’s playing anywhere other than 2B at Norfolk tells you exactly what’s going on here, especially when you consider what Elias said was one of the reasons for him not heading north to OPACY…that he needed more experience playing defense at 2B.

Hyde saying they’ll keep him warm or whatever at SS is purely lip service for the service time manipulation cover they are running.