Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

22 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

He's gotten a ton of hype by posters on Orioleshangout.  Was that just because he's Matt Holliday's kid? 

Yes, I think you are right.  #1 prospect in baseball due to being Matt’s kid.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Remind me… Was Gunnar ever sent back down once he got up here? If that happened, I don’t remember it. I definitely think that Jackson is here to stay, but I wasn’t expecting his first week to be so anemic.

No, Gunnar was not sent down. And I definitely don’t expect Holliday to be sent down anytime soon. I think they may pick their spots to start him if he continues to struggle this badly, but the negative attention of a demotion would be real challenging. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

AAA pitching isn't going to help him hit MLB pitching. He needs to learn up here.

No doubt, but at some point you get out of wack, your swing and confidence are gone and you need to get it back.

Grayson didn’t really have anything to prove against AAA competition last year. Same with Cowser to a lesser extent. They just needed to get right.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

No doubt, but at some point you get out of wack, your swing and confidence are gone and you need to get it back.

Grayson didn’t really have anything to prove against AAA competition last year. Same with Cowser to a lesser extent. They just needed to get right.

Grayson is a bit different for me. He needed to work on his mechanics and came back with a completely different delivery. Holliday needs to see ML pitching, I don't think his swing is broken, he's just being pitched to and he'll have to adjust and I think he will. 

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Malike said:

I doubt he's going back down, he'll hit. He needs to start putting some stank on his throws to 1B, though. Everything is closer than it should be with him lobbing things over there.

I noticed that too. He needs to be called out on that , unless it is a bit of nerves

Edited by Since1984
Nerves

Baby steps.  Good wood and balls in the air his first two times.  Only one K tonight.   Making all of the routine plays.

Fun Fact.  Holliday is tied with Mateo 29.0 for fastest Oriole.  Maybe Mateo hasn’t hit top speed yet because he used to be over 30.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Malike said:

Grayson is a bit different for me. He needed to work on his mechanics and came back with a completely different delivery. Holliday needs to see ML pitching, I don't think his swing is broken, he's just being pitched to and he'll have to adjust and I think he will. 

For the record, I don’t think his swing is broken, and he’s very much in the adjustment window. There is also enough information by now to get a rough idea on how he is being pitched that he can look for pitches and spots. 
I was only noting that if this continues for another 30+ at bats, his swing likely will be broken. All to say that nobody is above being sent back if that’s what it takes.

I have to admit I am a bit at a loss. Is the gap between AAA and MLB that huge? How can someone dominate at AAA and then all of a sudden be horrible at the MLB level? No one was expecting him to tear it up immediately off the gate, but at least hit .200 with some extra-base hits.