Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the mentality of needing these guys to be perfect.

Holliday will come up soon and immediately be one of the 5 best players on the team. 

I want to win, so I want our best players here.  Waiting for him to hit some subjective threshold makes zero sense.

Well, he was tearing up AAA and looked lost when he got here. So it's hard to know what to look for to know when he's truly ready this time. For me, it's power. 

And I diagree that right now he's one of the 5 best players on the team. That's frankly ridiculous. He will be at some point, but not this year. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the mentality of needing these guys to be perfect.

Holliday will come up soon and immediately be one of the 5 best players on the team. 

I want to win, so I want our best players here.  Waiting for him to hit some subjective threshold makes zero sense.

For Holliday to be one of the five best players on the team, and be an upgrade on current options, he'll probably need to hit for at least a .750 OPS this season. Do you think he's ready for that? 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Norfolk 2021-2024 - all the guys wRC+'s increment quite finely almost one at a time:

Adley 138, Gunnar 137, Vavra 135, Kjerstad 134, Holliday 134, McKenna 134, Mayo 133, Westburg 130, Cowser 129, Ortiz 128, Stowers 121, Norby 117

We have a view of Adley-Gunnar-Westburg performances after about half a year of MLB experience.

This month about 3/9ths of the team PA are with health going to Jorge Mateo, Ryan O'Hearn, and one of the longtime starting outfielders.     They are priority plays, org's decision, over Jackson Holliday, Coby Mayo and Heston Kjerstad.

Two weeks from today, it is conceivable the Yankees could complete a sweep and be about 9 games up with 90 to play.    What might optimal Rest of Season use be then?

Not to derail this, but the Yankees have looked great against some mediocre competition recently. They’ve got LAD, KC, BAL, BOS and ATL coming up. Same as the Orioles, the next few weeks are going to tell a lot about that team.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Not to derail this, but the Yankees have looked great against some mediocre competition recently. They’ve got LAD, KC, BAL, BOS and ATL coming up. Same as the Orioles, the next few weeks are going to tell a lot about that team.

We seemed better all 4 games so far (not that I have any bias..), and I am confident our best lineup can hit Gerrit Cole and Luis Gil.     Best on best competition is the greatest, even if revenue enhancement strategies sometimes leave it a little bit in short supply.

At the mile high level I do believe Judge/Cole have more time pressure to beat Adley/Gunnar THIS YEAR than vice versa.

AL playoffs of the last many years have had a lot of fun watching younger, stronger Astros clubs outplay the Yankees.

Edited by Just Regular

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, he was tearing up AAA and looked lost when he got here. So it's hard to know what to look for to know when he's truly ready this time. For me, it's power. 

And I diagree that right now he's one of the 5 best players on the team. That's frankly ridiculous. He will be at some point, but not this year. 

First of all, he was here for 5 minutes.

Second of all, he will be down another 2-4 weeks.  By that time he will be ready to be on the best players on the team.

I don’t think people quite understand how good this kid is. 34 poor at bats doesn’t change that, no matter how much overrated value people want to put in them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

For Holliday to be one of the five best players on the team, and be an upgrade on current options, he'll probably need to hit for at least a .750 OPS this season. Do you think he's ready for that? 

Yea of course.  May need a few more weeks in AAA but he will be.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Norfolk 2021-2024 - all the guys wRC+'s increment quite finely almost one at a time:

Adley 138, Gunnar 137, Vavra 135, Kjerstad 134, Holliday 134, McKenna 134, Mayo 133, Westburg 130, Cowser 129, Ortiz 128, Stowers 121, Norby 117

This guy Vavra must be a star, where can I get his MLB debut t-shirt?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course you don’t. 

Let's check back on 6/30. Urias is hot and one of only two guys capable of playing 3B on this roster. Mateo is playing great and is un-DFA-able due to his speed and ability to play SS as well as Gunnar can. These are not guys Elias is going to just waive or trade. 

The only way Holliday gets up here before 7/1 is an injury.

Edited by interloper

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, interloper said:

Let's check back on 6/30. Urias is hot and one of only two guys capable of playing 3B on this roster. Mateo is playing great and is un-DFA-able due to his speed and ability to play SS as well as Gunnar can. These are not guys Elias is going to just waive or trade. 

Mateo isn’t playing “great” (unless your standard for great is extremely low) and he doesn’t have to waive either player.

I wouldn’t rule out a trade of either player though.

Edited by Sports Guy

I don't get why anyone would take umbrage with SG's claim that Holliday will be one of the 5 best players on the team when he gets called back.  I can see why some might think those are lofty expectations but at the same time, we should all want that to happen.

I'm not going to make predictions on when he'll be back or not, there's a lot that will play into that decision.  All I know is that I'm glad he's raking in AAA again and I hope that whatever adjustments he's made will carry over to MLB pitching when he comes back.

• Upvote 1