Areas of concern (3)

RZNJ

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

I have no confidence in Mullins getting on track

Mullins second half performance and spring start are somewhat worrisome, especially since other CF alternatives are clear step down defensively. It will be interesting to see how the lineup profiles, does Mullins hit leadoff against RHPs (it seems so this spring).

Otherwise not concerned about rest of roster, probably is exiting spring training with the least amount of question marks and best depth since 1983.

Edited by Say O!

The starting pitching is dangerously thin. The bullpen is kinda questionable.

It would not take much meddling from the baseball gods for this team to faceplant coming out of the gate honestly.

I don't see too much reason to worry about the offense right now though- it's an very deep group with even more guys quickly closing in on ready. 

4 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Who is this Burns guy we speak of?  And, don't get me started on Hayes.   Or, Ohearn, Kramer and Irwin.

Pet Peeve - seeing players names misspelled.

Side note - I never saw anyone butcher more names while broadcasting games as Brooks Robinson did, but he did it in the most adorable and innocent way, that we had to love it.

Ummmmm O’Hearn?

MLB.com today reports Orioles among the suitors for Montgomery, given the injuries to the rotation. I wonder how credible this speculation is. With NY and Bos listed first, I would be pretty stoked if we could land him instead. Let the post-Angelos era begin for real!

Edited by now

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bullpen, Bullpen and the Bullpen

Not that worried about it.  Our bullpen wasn’t all that great last year, 61% save rate compared to 62% league average.  I don’t think it’s hard to match or exceed that.  

14 minutes ago, now said:

MLB.com today reports Orioles among the suitors for Montgomery, given the injuries to the rotation. I wonder how credible this speculation is. With NY and Bos listed first, I would be pretty stoked if we could land him instead. Let the post-Angelos era begin for real!

This needs to happen

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not that worried about it.  Our bullpen wasn’t all that great last year, 61% save rate compared to 62% league average.  I don’t think it’s hard to match or exceed that.  

I think that’s a poor way of evaluating a pen myself.  The pen is full of JAGs and they may or may not continue to be good. Lots of up and down, not a lot of missed bats, big K type guys. 

• Upvote 1

What were the concerns last year?? Starting pitching and bullpen. That is a continuous concern for all teams, Relief pitchers are relief pitchers for a reason...they have flaws, hence they aren't starters. They can be great one day and not so the next.

My concerns:

Mullins- I love him, but I'm afraid he peeked and is on a spiral downward much quicker than expected. Hope I'm wrong. 

Hayes- Another guy I like, but he seems (to me, could be wrong) to have difficulty in "clutch" situations (man on third less than two out, couple runners on one or no outs)...K's, hits into DP's. He certainly has his moments and again I hope I'm wrong.

McKenna- one of the luckiest guys in baseball...750K for being a good teammate and D. He happened upon the O's when talent didn't exist and has hung on. 

The good news is, there are guys on the farm that can fill for these 3 IMO...especially McKenna. CF ?? no one to go get 'em like Mullins, but guys with better arms.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Irvin has been pretty lousy all Spring...as he was today...he doesnt fill me with a ton of confidence...meanwhile GROD was much better today...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Cowser strikes out a lot.  I worry he has too many holes. 

True, but we have to hope he does enough damage when he does make contact and eventually cut down on the swing and miss AND there is a ton of swing and miss.