Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I didn’t have a problem with the move at the time.  Yes, his pitch count was low but the Orioles half inning before that was long and I always worry that the pitcher might lose his rhythm a little by sitting that long.   I wouldn’t have been outraged if they left him in longer to see if he could finish the inning but I also had no problem with Cano coming in.  You win the game that night.  We might get blown out tonight or vice versa or even get rained out.  Everyone except Coulombe is available.   

Rational people can disagree.  It’s irrational people who call the move severely stupid or whatever.   The game thread?   The group think is never wrong in there.  LOL

Okay, calling it "breathtakingly" stupid was over the top. It was just stupid. Happy?

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Giving up one hit to their best hitter is slipping? Okay. Congrats on being just about the only poster who was good with the move at the time, I guess. We should all bow to your infinite wisdom.

Jeez man, when did I say I was smarter than anybody? You asked me a question and I responded honestly. You didn't like my answer and now you're attacking me. Piss off dude. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Jeez man, when did I say I was smarter than anybody? You asked me a question and I responded honestly. You didn't like my answer and now you're attacking me. Piss off dude. 

Just have a hard time believing anyone could have been okay with that move at the time, that's all. 

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Okay, calling it "breathtakingly" stupid was over the top. It was just stupid. Happy?

No.  Not happy and it wasn’t stupid.  It’s debatable.  Also, how do you know Akin didn’t stiffen up a little.  I don’t recall the inning but he was flexing his back or side one inning and I was concerned he had hurt himself.

It’s stupid to call it stupid.  Happy?

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Just have a hard time believing anyone could have been okay with that move at the time, that's all. 

I have a group chat with 4 other big Os fans. None of us really cared. I would own up to it, I'm not trying to say one opinion is better or whatever. The game thread is the game thread. For me it just didn't register as anything egregious, especially once KB noted the rested bullpen. Mostly it comes down to Hyde being right on these moves a lot of the time. I trust him. 

I'm not attacking your view, just offering my own. I get why you and others didn't like it.

41 minutes ago, PeregrineT said:

You are gobsmacked that in a tight game he decided to go for the win and it worked out?  Usually most people reserve that kind of extreme hyperbole for when things DONT work out, not when they work out perfectly, but I guess some people have reached a high level of fan-seat entitlement after one great season...

In other news, fantastic performance by Irvin, again I feel like one of the biggest hallmarks of this team versus a number of years ago is players just showing up in crunch time and playing above expectations.  I dont know if its the environment, character level of the guys, or what, but guys consistently show up with their best stuff when they really need to.

To your bolded point, I had not really thought about this but it is certainly true. And while we will never truly know the answer, my guess is the biggest difference is talent. They are just better players.  Definitely character and environment matter, but being more talented than the guy you’re going up against is probably #1.

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Well, a lot of people outside of the game thread apparently didn’t have a problem with it, for whatever that’s worth.

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I’ve noticed that Hyde has a quicker hook with Irvin than he does with some other pitchers, even when Irvin is pitching well.  He must think Irvin is a guy who’s prone to quickly losing it if he command begins to waver.   

The move to take Irvin out "worked out" but I still think most MLB managers would have kept him in. I mean he was befuddling every Reds player not named De La Cruz all night and he had an incredibly low pitch count. In the moment I called the move "moronic" and I'll stand by that.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve noticed that Hyde has a quicker hook with Irvin than he does with some other pitchers, even when Irvin is pitching well.  He must think Irvin is a guy who’s prone to quickly losing it if he command begins to waver.   

I've noticed that too. I think it boils down to Hyde having his favorites like McKenna and Mateo. Irvin isn't on that list.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The reasoning was likely that the A team was rested and gives us the best chance to win versus extending Irvin a third time through the order. And again I'm not even saying I agree with it, only that "breathtakingly stupid" is over the top. I would even push back on stupid. 

I’ve commented on the hyperbole, so I don’t disagree with your comment, although Hyde has often done things that justify the word.

But in this instance, I disagree with bringing in anyone at that time. At the very least let him get one more out. He’s not tired, and though he did groove a pitch, it was one pitch.

Dont bring in someone unless you need to. If a guy has reached his pitch count, fine. I have definitely been annoyed when Hyde left his guy in past his pitch count limit, which he frequently does. In fact, when Lopez was a starter, he (almost) ALWAYS left him in too long. Oy.

Anyway, Save your ammo. He should have yesterday, especially with the unknown quantity of Means taking the bump today.

Edited by Philip

I would have liked to see Irvin continue to pitch, but there might be a lot we don't know. Normally, pulling a starter who is pitching effectively after 72 pitches is a bad move, but it's possible Hyde knew something about how Irvin was feeling, or something, that makes the move make sense.

I don't think Hyde is so stupid that he'd pull a pitcher who was cruising after 72 pitches unless there was something going on.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’ve commented on the hyperbole, so I don’t disagree with your comment, although Hyde has often done things that justify the word.

But in this instance, I disagree with bringing in anyone at that time. At the very least let him get one more out. He’s not tired, and though he did groove a pitch, it was one pitch.

Dont bring in someone unless you need to. If a guy has reached his pitch count, fine. I have definitely been annoyed when Hyde left his guy in past his pitch count limit, which he frequently does. In fact, when Lopez was a starter, he (almost) ALWAYS left him in too long. Oy.

Anyway, Save your ammo. He should have yesterday, especially with the unknown quantity of Means taking the bump today.

That is a fair and reasonable take.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Find me someone who had Cole Irvin penciled into our starting rotation.  There might be a few before we acquired Burnes.  I would guess there were none after that.   

He was definitely 5th in my mind, but as I mentioned in a spring training thread, the fifth starter worried me far less than the 6 7 and 8 starter. And we saw about one day later how valid that worry was, when Means and Bradish were announced as under the weather.

The question now is whether this is a springtime flower that fades with the summer heat, or a stalwart that weathers every storm until the leaves finally fall in the closing days of Autumn .

And, like Love, that wends its way through the fickle days of fate, we can only hope and pray and accept what comes.

Yea, the Lord giveth and the Lord…wait.. am I a bit going overboard on this?

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, a lot of people outside of the game thread apparently didn’t have a problem with it, for whatever that’s worth.

"A lot" being 2 people? Lol