Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

It's already been reported that they are planning it when Rodriguez returns, snd that Burnes will keep his usual 5 day rotation. This is also a good way to reset the rotation so that Burnes ends up seperating the lefties in the rotation.

Reported? Where?

I haven't seen that yet but believe it.     Burnes is here to do a job same as Lyles and Gibson and I don't think Elias will mess with him at least until he can go to the spa until Game 1 should the team perform that well.

Rubber will meet the road next weekend.    Burnes Monday Sunday on the 5th game afterwards next week would I guess leave John Means the guy without a turn at all next week, if Grayson's inflammation is calmed down enough for him to go sometime in the middle.

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It's already been reported that they are planning it when Rodriguez returns, snd that Burnes will keep his usual 5 day rotation. This is also a good way to reset the rotation so that Burnes ends up seperating the lefties in the rotation.

I haven’t seen anything even alluding to this other than writer speculation due to not having an obvious candidate to send to the pen. .

6 man rotation doesn’t make much sense given a lack of off days over the next month, and only one pitcher in the pen with options to bring up fresh arms. Who you may theoretically have to option anyway when wells comes back. 

11 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

6 man rotation doesn’t make much sense given a lack of off days over the next month, 

Huh?? Having a lack of off days makes a 6 man rotation make more sense; Not less. 

In fact, that was the justification for it given for it in the report.

My fear with a 6 man rotation is how it limits the pen. What happens when we get one starter shelled by the 3rd inning and needs to be pulled? We don't have too many guys that we can option and bring up on the shuttle like previous seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

My fear with a 6 man rotation is how it limits the pen. What happens when we get one starter shelled by the 3rd inning and needs to be pulled? We don't have too many guys that we can option and bring up on the shuttle like previous seasons. 

This is my concern too. It's a waste of a roster spot.

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

This is my concern too. It's a waste of a roster spot.

We only have one true long man in the pen, and that's Suarez. You can burn him one night if say Kremer gives up 12 runs in 4 innnings, but then he's gone for the next games. If we don't have any injuries, someone should go to the pen when Grayson gets back. 

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

We only have one true long man in the pen, and that's Suarez. You can burn him one night if say Kremer gives up 12 runs in 4 innnings, but then he's gone for the next games. If we don't have any injuries, someone should go to the pen when Grayson gets back. 

I think Irvin will go simply because he has experience with it already. 

15 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Someone already asked, where?   No one but you has seen it reported that they are going to a 6 man rotation.

I feel an injury coming.   GRod pitches well and wakes up in the morning with some soreness.  The O's don't wait a few days to see if the soreness gets better.  They put him on the IL.  That is kind of abnormal and happened at the same time the O's needed a rotation spot.

They could option Akin.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I feel an injury coming.   GRod pitches well and wakes up in the morning with some soreness.  The O's don't wait a few days to see if the soreness gets better.  They put him on the IL.  That is kind of abnormal and happened at the same time the O's needed a rotation spot.

They could option Akin.

Kremer’s blister?    Maybe.

50 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Huh?? Having a lack of off days makes a 6 man rotation make more sense; Not less. 

In fact, that was the justification for it given for it in the report.

MLB pitchers are typically used to throwing every fifth day. So not having days off, while an extra day is nice, is typical and their normal MO. But with a 6 man rotation (and therefore a 7 man bullpen), you would like to have a few days off to rest the pen. We have had enough trouble keeping the pen rested even with an 8 man bullpen. And we don’t have guys with options to send down and get fresh arms to cover innings in instances where the pen is overused. 

even with the pitchers throwing well, we’ve used 7, 5 and 5 relievers over the last 3 games. Without the day off on either side of the nationals game, our pen would be exhausted. 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I think Irvin will go simply because he has experience with it already. 

Barring injuries and Grod coming back how bout a rotating starter to the pen by committee. Lets keep a 5 man rotation, lets limit innings by making a starter a BP  arm for a couple of weeks, see who best plays up out of the pen. Only 4 starters in the post season. Just saying? Too much pitching, good problem to have.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Someone already asked, where?   No one but you has seen it reported that they are going to a 6 man rotation.

The article was shared / linked days ago in one of the many Orioles Facebook Groups I'm in, and a MLB reporter had cited an insider.  I just looked for it but it seems to be buried underneath all the newer posts. Doing a Google search trying to find it at first glance just brings up a different reporter on MLB speculating. It's not worth the time it takes to snoop it down because the game is on, it's mother's day, and everyone will find out what the tram does anyway soon enough.

7 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

MLB pitchers are typically used to throwing every fifth day. So not having days off, while an extra day is nice, is typical and their normal MO. But with a 6 man rotation (and therefore a 7 man bullpen), you would like to have a few days off to rest the pen. We have had enough trouble keeping the pen rested even with an 8 man bullpen. And we don’t have guys with options to send down and get fresh arms to cover innings in instances where the pen is overused. 

even with the pitchers throwing well, we’ve used 7, 5 and 5 relievers over the last 3 games. Without the day off on either side of the nationals game, our pen would be exhausted. 

I'll give you the point about the bullpen but as you mentioned you don't want to wait 7 days just to give a starter their turn. Having less days off mitigates that and a 6 man rotation gives the starters better recovery to preserve themselves for the end of the season/playoffs as well as more consistent of a routine.  

We've also been getting quality starts where the starters have been getting deeper in the games and that will help manage the bullpen.