Who will be our top AL East rival in 2024?

Frobby

Who will be our top AL East rival in 2024?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from the Orioles, who will win the most games in the AL East this year?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/28/24 at 16:01

Blue Jays are a real puzzlement to me. They used to drive me crazy with their "personality" (and talent)...green jacket, intimidating, they looked like they enjoyed themselves. Now, they seem so different and seem like a bunch of individuals versus a team. I don't know if upper management has asked for changes, whether getting Ohtani and then not getting Ohtani...just a strange team at the present time to me.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Gil has come out of nowhere to be arguably the MVP of that team. 

He's for sure the best guy on the team with a neck tattoo but I don't think you can make a great argument he's more valuable than Judge or Soto.  Judge just had an actual historic May and Soto has been everything they could have realistically hoped for.

AN OPS of over 1000 in the 2024 run scoring environment?

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Is Gil still a rookie? Long way to go but right now he's a frontrunner for the Cy Young.

He's like Mason Miller over 45 service days but under 50 innings as the season opened.

Gil's service time case another degree higher there as B-Ref has him over 1.000 service time with injured list time served.

I too am fuzzy what is the bright line as Elias took care to regulate Kjerstad-Cowser to under 45 days last year, but Mason Miller seems to be in the Rookie of the Year race betting markets.

Gil is blowing away Miller and Cowser by now if he is in that race.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's for sure the best guy on the team with a neck tattoo but I don't think you can make a great argument he's more valuable than Judge or Soto.  Judge just had an actual historic May and Soto has been everything they could have realistically hoped for.

AN OPS of over 1000 in the 2024 run scoring environment?

I have wondered if a Yankee could have a facial hair tattoo.

It means a good something what the season will tell us if Luis Gil experiences Tyler Wells adjacent level burnout.

Like Wells in 2023 helping the Orioles to the time of good Grayson and Jack Flaherty, NYY are making an I feel good choice to use their good pitchers when they are in good form without getting too cute.     He's living the steamroller dream Michael Baumann and Grayson Rodriguez wish for.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..overwhelming ROY favorite right now.

The Yankees got Gil as a lotto ticket for Jake Cave. Innings will be the issue this year, he can't throw 200 or they'll ruin his arm.

Gerrit Cole's 45 pitch results on June 4 smell like he wants an Orioles assignment sometime in that June 18-20 series.

I think I saw the org publicized 3 rehab games, and he'd be late for us if they stick to it.     We'll see in two weeks.

Just now, Just Regular said:

Gerrit Cole's 45 pitch results on June 4 smell like he wants an Orioles assignment sometime in that June 18-20 series.

I think I saw the org publicized 3 rehab games, and he'd be late for us if they stick to it.     We'll see in two weeks.

They said on the broadcast last night (Yankees) that he would be in line to start game 2 against us. 45, 60, 75, MLB. He got the 45 out of the way last night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I dunno know why, really, but I'm not that scared of Gerrit Cole. Line up Burnes against him and let's ride. 

Good perspective by Melewski here:

You must have missed the memo that the Yankees will never lose another game this season. Time to prepare for the WC round.

If Soto needs to DH awhile, outfield Giancarlo or bench Giancarlo an interesting call for Aaron Boone.

All the water has been good, including Giancarlo becoming kind of useful again.   

We're about to the point where we'll see if Jasson Dominguez does one of those veteran job takeovers on Alex Verdugo as has occurred with Hays/Mullins here.

Good perspective by Melewski here:

Was going to post the same thing after checking the standings from last year. The Orioles are also a better team this year than last. They’re 39-22 with a +86 run differential. Their pythag record is 39-22 and base runs record is also 39-22. They’ve legitimately played at a 103 win pace. No one run magic, crazy luck (their batting xWOBA is 3rd and pitching is 10th), or easy schedule. 

They were obviously a great team last year as well but their pythag record was 94-68, their statcast numbers were middle of the pack for both offense and pitching, and they were 37-24 at this point with a +21 run differential. 

• Thanks 1