Orioles cancel workout and rally for today

8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

The problem I have had with all the headlines about this. The Bridge didn't collapse, it got knocked down. You would think people that have been to College would realize this.

The bridge collapsed as a result of a critical support structure being hit by a large boat. What is the issue with that statement?

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

The problem I have had with all the headlines about this. The Bridge didn't collapse, it got knocked down. You would think people that have been to College would realize this.

This is kind of a pointless semantics debate, but I don't have a problem calling it a collapse.  If you want to be more specific, "collapsed because a pillar got knocked down" would be appropriate.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge was a collapse. This was caused by being hit by a Container Ship. Big difference.

No, you're conflating cause and effect. Just because it was hit doesn't mean it didn't collapse. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

This is kind of a pointless semantics debate, but I don't have a problem calling it a collapse.  If you want to be more specific, "collapsed because a pillar got knocked down" would be appropriate.

now THAT'S a headline. 

Just now, dystopia said:

No, you're conflating cause and effect. Just because it was hit doesn't mean it didn't collapse. 

I guess that's true. Just seems to me the actual cause would be more front and center. I will shut up now.

26 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Kind of a distinction without a difference, no? 

Yes, it got hit by a ship and the ship knocked it down, but it did collapse.

50 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I guess that's true. Just seems to me the actual cause would be more front and center. I will shut up now.

FWIW I agree.  “Collapse” isn’t inaccurate, but it does imply the cause was lack of structural integrity not a collision. 

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

The video of the container ship hitting the bridge has been replayed on social media and every news outlet throughout the day.  Nobody is confused about the cause.  

Edited by yark14
  • Upvote 2