2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

I think I figured it out.

This isn't about McCann, it's about Stowers.

That's why he keeps mentioning him.

SG wants Stowers to DH more so he's acting all upset about a replacement level backup catcher getting a half dozen more starts than he normally would because he wants Stowers to be the DH instead of Adley.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

SG wants Stowers to DH more so he's acting all upset about a replacement level backup catcher getting a half dozen more starts than he normally would because he wants Stowers to be the DH instead of Adley.

Agree but posted 30 minutes there is nowhere to put Stowers. Why would you DH Stowers over O'Hearn.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As with most things in life, you failed at this.

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

Agree but posted 30 minutes there is nowhere to put Stowers. Why would you DH Stowers over O'Hearn.

Because Stowers has a history of hitting lefties.  I mean, did you really need to ask that?

That being said, sure OHearn can get some of those at bats…or Urias or whoever.

I specifically mentioned Stowers because of his history of hitting lefties well but lots of players can and should be getting those at bats.

• Upvote 1

The Problem with McCann is that T Rowe Price also obtained one player designation per game and McCann is related to the founders of TRP on his mother’s side. They just love the guy. Want him to play all the time. Oh, and the money has to be spent on back up catchers named McCann….so he will likely be the first guy resigned. 

Or maybe @Can_of_corn was right and it’s all about Stowers. 🥸

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because Stowers has a history of hitting lefties.  I mean, did you really need to ask that?

That being said, sure OHearn can get some of those at bats…or Urias or whoever.

I specifically mentioned Stowers because of his history of hitting lefties well but lots of players can and should be getting those at bats.

Well there you go again, the Can did not reference LHP vs RHP it was assumed that if were going to DH Stowers it would be against RHP. And oh by the way Stowers has no history of hitting LHP at least not at this level (neither does O'Hearn) thats why they dont spend a lot of time DH him against LHP

• Thanks 1

Just now, Safelykept said:

Well there you go again, the Can did not reference LHP vs RHP it was assumed that if were going to DH Stowers it would be against RHP. And oh by the way Stowers has no history of hitting LHP at least not at this level (neither does O'Hearn) thats why they dont spend a lot of time DH him against LHP

But he has a history in the minors and that is a good precursor to thinking he can do it here, as any stat is.

We were talking about McCann playing a lot vs lefties, so it should be obvious I was talking about DHing vs lefties.  

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

I think I like "The Can".

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That stat (the record) is a completely irrelevant stat. This is a very good team. McCann isn’t as good as Adley because we win the same amount of games.(I know you aren’t saying that but pointing that out is so bad)

McCann isn’t good. He’s a below average defensive catcher who can’t hit. We shouldn’t be championing the idea of playing him a lot of games.

I’m not championing the idea of playing him a lot of games.  I’m saying that playing him in a lot of games hasn’t hurt the team so far, and it has helped Adley.  The minute the team starts losing a lot of games when McCann is catching, I’ll be in favor of catching Adley more.  Maybe that day comes, and maybe it doesn’t.  It hasn’t come yet, for sure.  

I also think that, no matter how many defensive metrics they slap on catchers, they don’t capture the relationships between the catcher and the pitcher and the impact of his game calling.  So I’m not convinced McCann is a below average defensive catcher.  The team has a 3.19 ERA when he catches (Adley is 3.04), so the team pitches well with him behind the dish.  Adley hits well when McCann is behind the dish.  The team is winning 2/3 of the time when McCann is behind the dish.   Until it stops working, I’m fine with “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not championing the idea of playing him a lot of games.  I’m saying that playing him in a lot of games hasn’t hurt the team so far, and it has helped Adley.  The minute the team starts losing a lot of games when McCann is catching, I’ll be in favor of catching Adley more.  Maybe that day comes, and maybe it doesn’t.  It hasn’t come yet, for sure.  

I also think that, no matter how many defensive metrics they slap on catchers, they don’t capture the relationships between the catcher and the pitcher and the impact of his game calling.  So I’m not convinced McCann is a below average defensive catcher.  The team has a 3.19 ERA when he catches (Adley is 3.04), so the team pitches well with him behind the dish.  Adley hits well when McCann is behind the dish.  The team is winning 2/3 of the time when McCann is behind the dish.   Until it stops working, I’m fine with “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

How do you know it hasn’t hurt the team?  Maybe playing McCann less would have led to more wins in those games?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

How do you know it hasn’t hurt the team?  Maybe playing McCann less would have led to more wins in those games?

I’ll take my chances.   

Look, if you’d asked me before the season, I would have wanted maybe 110 starts at C for Adley, 52 for McCann, or something like that.  Right now, it’s on pace for 96-66, which is way fewer starts at C for Adley than I would have expected or wanted.   But it’s worked fine, and I like the fact that Adley will have fresher legs in the Fall, so I’m okay with it so long as the results remain good.  It’s not any more complicated than that.