2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

4 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Does freakin' McCann have blackmail material on O's management? How the hell are they giving him and his .508 OPS so many starts? 

Adley has to have some undisclosed injury that the team doesn't want known public to tip off the opposing teams. It's the only thing that makes sense.... well besides the blackmail theory.

McCann is starting 40% of the games so far this year. It's a credit to how good the team has been winning games with OPS in the lineup.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

8 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Does freakin' McCann have blackmail material on O's management? How the hell are they giving him and his .508 OPS so many starts? 

And people say Basallo would be redundant.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Adley has to have some undisclosed injury that the team doesn't want known public to tip off the opposing teams. It's the only thing that makes sense.... well besides the blackmail theory.

McCann is starting 40% of the games so far this year. It's a credit to how good the team has been winning games with OPS in the lineup.

I don't think it's an injury. I think they simply look at the offensive dropoff between him DHing and catching, and they're in a grueling part of the schedule with minimal days off. They look at DHing as effectively a day off. 

Look at his numbers:

• As a catcher: 249 AVG, 681 OPS
  • As a DH: 393 AVG, 1.098 OPS

It's night and day. That said, McCann is awful against lefties and having him start in back to back games is bizarre. He hasn't DHed in b2b games since 4/6-4/7. 

That said, I'm not reading too much into it. I think it's based on the schedule and off days. There were times were they ran him out as a catcher 3 games in a row, times where they alternated C/DH every other game. They've recently been doing 2 games catching, 1 game as DH. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hays, Mateo, McCann, Cowser is a pretty brutal back half of the lineup.  When Mateo is arguably the biggest threat out of four guys...yikes.

Maybe Mateo should learn how to play catcher so he can play more 

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't think it's an injury. I think they simply look at the offensive dropoff between him DHing and catching, and they're in a grueling part of the schedule with minimal days off. They look at DHing as effectively a day off. 

Look at his numbers:

• As a catcher: 249 AVG, 681 OPS
  • As a DH: 393 AVG, 1.098 OPS

It's night and day. That said, McCann is awful against lefties and having him start in back to back games is bizarre. He hasn't DHed in b2b games since 4/6-4/7. 

That said, I'm not reading too much into it. I think it's based on the schedule and off days. There were times were they ran him out as a catcher 3 games in a row, times where they alternated C/DH every other game. They've recently been doing 2 games catching, 1 game as DH. 

I think the team is biasing small sample sizes instead of playing the best lineup.

• Upvote 1

I don't buy catcher ERA at all, but last year for Irvin:

• McCann: 1.98 ERA in 10 games
  • Adley: 6.00 ERA in 13 games

This year it's not as pronounced, but still there: 2.41 ERA for McCann, 3.81 ERA for Adley. 

That Yankees game famously had Adley behind the dish when Irvin was pitching. So, something to consider. 

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Agreed, it's still a long season and our odds of making the playoffs are in the high 90's. More important to keep the guys healthy over 162 than optimize every single lineup. It's funny, the narrative in '22-23 was that Hyde was running Adley into the ground, now it's Adley must be injured.

• Upvote 1