2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hays can show that he is worthy against LHP.   That’s not burying him.   We shouldn’t hurt the team in order to get one guy going who shows no positive signs.

Agreed. This team has already had 3 days off, there's absolutely no need to be "resting" Mountcastle. Mountcastle is working counts way better than Hays, including against RHP. This is Hyde showing favoritism to vets yet again. He should show favoritism to winning games.

The bottom of the lineup is doing no favors for Holliday, who is going to need to get acclimated to MLB pitching like every other good rookie. He probably gets benched tomorrow against Hall, so putting two black holes like Hays and McCann around him isn't ideal. 

The way baseball works, I'm sure Hays goes 3-3 today. But the process behind putting together this lineup isn't good.

You know Hyde is going to be forcing Mateo and most likely Urias in there tomorrow, with Hays a 100% certainty to start again. With Cowser and Holliday most likely getting benched. I think it's bad lineup optimization when we should be in a position to start our most talented players every game outside of rest for Adley. Hyde refuses to do it. 

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

Agreed. This team has already had 3 days off, there's absolutely no need to be "resting" Mountcastle. Mountcastle is working counts way better than Hays, including against RHP. This is Hyde showing favoritism to vets yet again. He should show favoritism to winning games.

The bottom of the lineup is doing no favors for Holliday, who is going to need to get acclimated to MLB pitching like every other good rookie. He probably gets benched tomorrow against Hall, so putting two black holes like Hays and McCann around him isn't ideal. 

The way baseball works, I'm sure Hays goes 3-3 today. But the process behind putting together this lineup isn't good.

You know Hyde is going to be forcing Mateo and most likely Urias in there tomorrow, with Hays a 100% certainty to start again. With Cowser and Holliday most likely getting benched. I think it's bad lineup optimization when we should be in a position to start our most talented players every game outside of rest for Adley. Hyde refuses to do it. 

There's a fantastic Eve Rosenbaum interview floating around in a few of the threads wherein she discusses in great detail the process with which they put together the lineup. They take a significant number of variables into account, oftentimes with information we as fans just won't have access to. I'm not saying its always right, but to assume it's just vet favoritism every time we see a choice we don't like is just not a valid critique. They have organization-wide discussions about this and their careers are tied to how well these decisions work out over time. It's not the lazy shoulder-shrug so many want to make it out to be.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't see how it hurts us. Mountcastle is only a tiny bit better vs RHP for their careers, and Hays improves the OF defense. It's not like Mountcastle is a beast who has to play every day. As long as Cowser is in there the majority of the time I'm a happy camper. 

Forget their careers.  Have you been watching Hays’ at bats all year?   That’s how it hurts us.   Maybe he has a good night but he’s currently the worst hitter on the team.   There is no need to give him AB against RH right now, especially on a night with McCann in the lineup too.

11 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Benching Holiday tomorrow just because it’s a leftie would be total bull shit since he was sent down to work in hitting lefties 

If the kid has an Ofer tonight, it would be the best for him and the team.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

There's a fantastic Eve Rosenbaum interview floating around in a few of the threads wherein she discusses in great detail the process with which they put together the lineup. They take a significant number of variables into account, oftentimes with information we as fans just won't have access to. I'm not saying its always right, but to assume it's just vet favoritism every time we see a choice we don't like is just not a valid critique. They have organization-wide discussions about this and their careers are tied to how well these decisions work out over time. It's not the lazy shoulder-shrug so many want to make it out to be.

I think Hyde is a very good manager.  I think the players like and respect him.  I think putting Hays in the lineup and showing loyalty to a player who has been good is exactly why they like him.  BUT from an X’s and O’s standpoint you can throw out everything.  You simply need to watch his AB’s over the last two weeks.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think Hyde is a very good manager.  I think the players like and respect him.  I think putting Hays in the lineup and showing loyalty to a player who has been good is exactly why they like him.  BUT from an X’s and O’s standpoint you can throw out everything.  You simply need to watch his AB’s over the last two weeks.   

I think the at-bats looked a tiny bit better in Boston if I’m being honest.

I think the decision to play him is much more nuanced than that though, that’s my point (or really, Rosenbaum’s point)

Maybe Hays matches up well with Peralta’s pitch mix or delivery dynamics? Maybe Mounty needs a breather for an unknown reason? Maybe the upcoming sequence of pitchers or off days is contributing? Maybe their bullpen is set up in such a way that Mounty might be highly valuable in a pivotal PH moment later tonight?

She goes into and beyond all of these dynamics. It’s so much more nuanced than our ability to fully assess based off the valuable but limited information that we see. And believe me, I do it to, it’s fun! We’re fans at the end of the day, and they have and will be wrong again with their process. But their process is much more involved than many around here give credit.

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think the decision to play him is much more nuanced than that though, that’s my point (or really, Rosenbaum’s point)

Maybe Hays matches up well with Peralta’s pitch mix or delivery dynamics? Maybe Mounty needs a breather for an unknown reason? Maybe the upcoming sequence of pitchers or off days is contributing? Maybe their bullpen is set up in such a way that Mounty might be highly valuable in a pivotal PH moment later tonight?

She goes into and beyond all of these dynamics. It’s so much more nuanced than our ability to fully assess based off the valuable but limited information that we see. And believe me, I do it to, it’s fun! We’re fans at the end of the day, and they have and will be wrong again with their process. But their process is much more involved than many around here give credit.

I think the biggest issue is the O's don't have a prototypical lead off hitter right now. That would solve a lot of the lineup problems.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

Hyde needs to channel his inner Earl Weaver.

People here would have been all over Earl’s lineups.  I think Rich Dauer’s rookie year started with a 2-42 or something horrible.  He kept penciling him in every night.  Earl once said something like “If you give up on them when they’re cold you’re likely to miss the hot streak that comes later”.

Boston, Milwaukee and Hays tonight I think has to do with fastballs.

Andrew Bailey famously right now has his Sox shunning the offering.     The Brewers' ace's nickmame is "Fastball Freddy".    Hays likes to hit the heater.

It's about repertoire, not left/right.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

People here would have been all over Earl’s lineups.  I think Rich Dauer’s rookie year started with a 2-42 or something horrible.  He kept penciling him in every night.  Earl once said something like “If you give up on them when they’re cold you’re likely to miss the hot streak that comes later”.

It's true you have to keep running them out there sometimes. But Earl always wanted his best 9 in the lineup.

5 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Turns out it was posted inside this thread only 11 days ago :)

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/51495-2024-ongoing-lineup-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3095429

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1