Ackley quick out of the gate, Green not.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I really want Ackley.

After reading the article about rebuilding and getting players that make sense for your system(ie. Oriole way) I really took a long look at both players and I really think Ackley is the one.

My reasoning:

Ackley is an ACC guy, from the east coast, and probably has some tie to the O's in one way or an other. I know that is pretty lame, but it makes some sense in my head and in my gut. And that is half the battle with prospects, gut feeling. I don't care what position he plays! I think he makes sense in this system. If he plays OF,1B, or 2B they all sound great to me!

Green, a west coast guy who has all the tools in the world, but who also might not even make it to us in the draft. And, most likely doesn't even pay attention to this side of the coast(yes I am geophraphic assumption).

Anyway, I would love to have to have either player, but right now Ackley is the guy I want!

If Ackley develops some power, and somehow falls to us at #5, I'd be all over him. But I think both of these things happening are unlikely- IF he starts to show power, he'll be long gone by our 5th pick.

If he doesn't show power, I'd still consider him with #5, but I'd have to see which pitchers are available- I'd certainly be tempted by Crow, Matzek.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3948952&name=mlb_draft

Grant Green has committed five errors and has yet to put together a string of productive at-bats in USC's seven games. When the year began, many believed Green had the best chance to distinguish himself from the group, but his somewhat slow start has only summoned more questions.

"There isn't a consensus on him," said an American League scout. "When we talk internally about him there are three or four of us discussing him and we end up with three or four different takes. Will he shore up his defensive lapses and show that he's better with the bat than he was last season? We don't know, and I'm not sure anyone feels comfortable with that right now. He may be the most scouted player in this draft because of the physical skills and his position in the field, but without consistent production and progress, he's an enigma."

Green is hitting .261/.370/.478 with a home run, two doubles, three walks and five strikeouts in seven games in 2009.

The perfect storm is developing for him to drop to us

Honestly, I really want Ackley.

After reading the article about rebuilding and getting players that make sense for your system(ie. Oriole way) I really took a long look at both players and I really think Ackley is the one.

My reasoning:

Ackley is an ACC guy, from the east coast, and probably has some tie to the O's in one way or an other. I know that is pretty lame, but it makes some sense in my head and in my gut. And that is half the battle with prospects, gut feeling. I don't care what position he plays! I think he makes sense in this system. If he plays OF,1B, or 2B they all sound great to me!

Green, a west coast guy who has all the tools in the world, but who also might not even make it to us in the draft. And, most likely doesn't even pay attention to this side of the coast(yes I am geophraphic assumption).

Anyway, I would love to have to have either player, but right now Ackley is the guy I want!

This sounds like Seabiscuit vs War Admiral (do you remember the movie or am I dating myself?). Unfortunately, Seabiscuit - from the West Coast - won that race.

Speaking of dating myself, my father saw that race in person in 1938 at Pimlico.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3948952&name=mlb_draft

The perfect storm is developing for him to drop to us

I understand there is always risk involved in the MLB draft, but wouldn't it be an enormous risk to select Grant Green at 1:5 if his stock continues to drop like this? If he continues to slide in performance and commits errors at this rate would we want to select him anyways?

The O's don't have the financial resources to miss on high draft choices. It's not like they can just wiff on the draft and buy their way out of the mess they put themselves in. In the late 90's and early 00's they missed on nearly every select and look what's come of it. 11 straight losing seasons. Ackley or Crow don't play premier positions, but if they are there and Green continues this slide the O's should pass on Green.

If Ackley develops some power, and somehow falls to us at #5, I'd be all over him. But I think both of these things happening are unlikely- IF he starts to show power, he'll be long gone by our 5th pick.

If he doesn't show power, I'd still consider him with #5, but I'd have to see which pitchers are available- I'd certainly be tempted by Crow, Matzek.

Right now he looks like a hitter in the mold of Kendrick, but with just a bit more muscle he could put up Markakis numbers while playing great defense.OF he is worth top 5, 1B more like 12-15.

Archived