Ackley quick out of the gate, Green not.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's 4 so far this season. I think I predicted the Power boost this year.

Too bad I don't think he'll still be around at pick #5.

Well, no offense intended but let's see once he gets into the meat of the conference schedule.

is the ACC a good baseball conference? I always thought it was a tick above average, but not one of the elite college baseball conferences.

Definitely elite, though it's down a bit this year. SEC is ahead of everyone, but ACC is generally in the discussion for second toughest.

is the ACC a good baseball conference? I always thought it was a tick above average, but not one of the elite college baseball conferences.

I agree with Stotle that its a bit down this year, but I disagree that the SEC is typically the best (if that's even what he was saying). The big 5 are the ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big West and Pac-10.

The ACC always has 4 doormats (MD, Duke, Va Tech and BC) with the other 8 almost always making a regional in one way or another. Clemson, UNC, FSU, Miami and Georgia Tech are always perennial powers. Virginia and NC State are without question solid programs that find their way into the rankings 2 out of every 3 seasons (if not more). Wake is the last team, and they are about an average power conference team. They normally get into the field of 64 and make very little noise.

The perennial powers in the SEC include South Carolina, Georgia, Florida (especially since long time Clemson assistant Kevin O'Sullivan took over), Vandy (more recent), Arkansas and LSU. Tennessee, Miss and Miss St always have solid clubs. Bama and Auburn have fallen off in recent years, but Kentucky always boasts a solid team if unspectacular team.

So, as you can see, its pretty even. If you ask me, most years the ACC has more top teams, but also more doormats. Its more consistent anyways. But any team in any of those big 5 conferences I listed never need to be questioned for testing any player sufficiently. The Big 12, Big West and Pac-10 have similar situations, but I'll take the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 every year over the other 2.

Archived