Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

Not that W’s mean as much these days for pitchers (as much as in the past) but how many games did they either relinquish his lead and he ND or they blew the game? He’s only 7 - 2 but I feel like he should have at least ten wins. Not counting the games he pitched that they were shutout… 

Oakland, KC, Toronto and ChiSox?

Side note but I always thought that unearned runs that came in via a home run were kind of bs.  He still allowed the meatball.

Of course it doesn't actually detract from his dominant performance today, even against a bad offensive team.  But he probably didn't deserve to have 0 ER on his pitching line.

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Side note but I always thought that unearned runs that came in via a home run were kind of bs.  He still allowed the meatball.

Of course it doesn't actually detract from his dominant performance today, even against a bad offensive team.  But he probably didn't deserve to have 0 ER on his pitching line.

I don't think it's BS. Westburg called off Mounty on a ball that's caught 99.999% of the time and he flubbed it. Inning should have been over, it's a shame they can't charge the runs to the offending player.

Just now, Malike said:

I don't think it's BS. Westburg called off Mounty on a ball that's caught 99.999% of the time and he flubbed it. Inning should have been over, it's a shame they can't charge the runs to the offending player.

The baserunner no doubt should be unearned.  But the batter that scores off a HR?  That's the pitcher's fault.  He could have hit a HR the following inning with the bases empty.  In both cases it's a good swing and/or a bad pitch.  Doing it immediately after a 2-out error shouldn't negate that.

You could maybe argue an edge case where getting out of the inning prior to him being pulled would have meant that he was never in a position to make a bad pitch, but in general I think that a pitcher shouldn't necessarily be absolved of *everything* that transpires after an error.

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

The baserunner no doubt should be unearned.  But the batter that scores off a HR?  That's the pitcher's fault.  He could have hit a HR the following inning with the bases empty.  In both cases it's a good swing and/or a bad pitch.  Doing it immediately after a 2-out error shouldn't negate that.

You could maybe argue an edge case where getting out of the inning prior to him being pulled would have meant that he was never in a position to make a bad pitch, but in general I think that a pitcher shouldn't necessarily be absolved of *everything* that transpires after an error.

I think it's why the metrics use RA and not ERA in the WAR calculations, so there is still a WAR penalty.

3 hours ago, banks703 said:

Not that W’s mean as much these days for pitchers (as much as in the past) but how many games did they either relinquish his lead and he ND or they blew the game? He’s only 7 - 2 but I feel like he should have at least ten wins. Not counting the games he pitched that they were shutout… 

Oakland, KC, Toronto and ChiSox?

You opened you're post with the needed answer he could have 10 wins instead of 7.In this day, Who cares?

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would Burnes pitch game 4 on short rest in the playoffs if need be? A 1,4,7 possibility?

I don’t think it’s necessary to do this unless we have more injuries to our starting rotation.