Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

55 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Burnes has been everything we hoped for when we traded for him.  3 ER or less in all 12 of his starts, with 9 quality starts out of 12.  He will get more than $200M on the market this year and we should be willing to go all out for him.  

I would rather sign Bradish and have enough left over to sign Westburg and even a little to add to the Gunnar or Adley piles if either of them are interested in extensions. 

I'm really impressed Burnes went 7 tonight.  I'm sure in the back of his mind he wants to make sure he stays healthy to grab that mega contract but nights like tonight are why the O's traded for him to be their ace, not the 5 inning games.

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would rather sign Bradish and have enough left over to sign Westburg and even a little to add to the Gunnar or Adley piles if either of them are interested in extensions. 

You already have those guys for most of the years you're signing Burnes for though. That's a main reason I'm pretty interested in keeping Burnes despite the cost/risk. Before the years any extensions would kick in, he's the best available complement for the rest of the core guys already under control for the next 4-5 years. Just depends how high Rubenstein is willing to let the payroll get as the arbitration dollars will soar. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

6/230. That's my Max. Probably won't get him but Pitchers contracts almost never work out/

Most big free agent contracts “don’t work out” from a WAR per dollar type perspective. But you have to overpay if you want a shot at getting a multi-year World Series window. If Burnes was great for three or four years and the Os made it to the World Series during that time then who cares about the final couple of years on the contract. The Orioles would probably be rebuilding at that point or have entered a better income bracket. 

Burnes was quoted as saying he wanted to test free agency before signing anything .  But with time between now to November, I hope Orioles would privately ask him if they could make an offer now . He probably would say not at this time. But what do they have to lose ?

2 hours ago, GunnarBomb said:

New to the board here and picked a great game and screen name to boot! You gotta love Corbin Burnes.  He obviously didn’t have his best stuff with going deep in counts (errors didn’t help either) but that’s what a true ace does to keep his team into the game.  

Not sure we will be able to keep him, but hopefully Rubenstein will open up the pocketbook this off-season to sign him, two relievers and a true one or two middle of the order bats to protect the young players.

hopefully Bautista can regain his form as well next year.

Welcome to the Orioles Hangout!

6 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Burnes was quoted as saying he wanted to test free agency before signing anything .  But with time between now to November, I hope Orioles would privately ask him if they could make an offer now . He probably would say not at this time. But what do they have to lose ?

I agree. He's been such a key part of the team competing this year. Especially since we don't have a good bullpen, Corbin Burnes has been HUGE for us. For us to keep the window to a World Series chance open, we have to at least try to retain his services.

Ya never know if you don't try! What's that Wayne Gretsky quote about shots you don't take?

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Burnes has been everything we hoped for when we traded for him.  3 ER or less in all 12 of his starts, with 9 quality starts out of 12.  He will get more than $200M on the market this year and we should be willing to go all out for him.  

I agree. He's a major factor in our odds to win a World Series. Gotta go for it while you can and keep him if we can.

I generally don't like big contracts and view them as over pays. I criticized the Albert Belle signing, I hated the Ubaldo Jimenez signing, and I didn't feel comfortable with the Chris Davis extension. But to me those players did not have a solid consistent careers as a pure Ace player like Burnes does. Burnes is a player I feel confident that you know what you're getting, even if we can expect a decline by age 35. Up to that point, you're getting a perennial Cy Young competitor to anchor your entire Pitching Staff and give you a chance to win when you need it most just like he did tonight in the game 3 rubber match in a series against division rivals.

This series against the Red Sox, Burnes was effectively the Stopper and got us back on track.

I'm all for resigning Corbin Burnes! It's on my Christmas wish list!

19 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree. He's been such a key part of the team competing this year. Especially since we don't have a good bullpen, Corbin Burnes has been HUGE for us. For us to keep the window to a World Series chance open, we have to at least try to retain his services.

Ya never know if you don't try! What's that Wayne Gretsky quote about shots you don't take?

Sorry I’m not Gretzky fan , lol . And don’t know any of his quotes. But I would love to hear it , if you can share. 

Speaking of bullpen, I agree that ours needs to be augmented and upgraded.  The trade deadline is coming soon so……..

22 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree. He's a major factor in our odds to win a World Series. Gotta go for it while you can and keep him if we can.

I generally don't like big contracts and view them as over pays. I criticized the Albert Belle signing, I hated the Ubaldo Jimenez signing, and I didn't feel comfortable with the Chris Davis extension. But to me those players did not have a solid consistent careers as a pure Ace player like Burnes does. Burnes is a player I feel confident that you know what you're getting, even if we can expect a decline by age 35. Up to that point, you're getting a perennial Cy Young competitor to anchor your entire Pitching Staff and give you a chance to win when you need it most just like he did tonight in the game 3 rubber match in a series against division rivals.

This series against the Red Sox, Burnes was effectively the Stopper and got us back on track.

I'm all for resigning Corbin Burnes! It's on my Christmas wish list!

I have to admit I am all for resigning Burnes too, I just can't remember the last time the O's signed a free agent the other top teams wanted.  I don't think even Chris Davis fits that category because the O's were bidding against themselves.  Albert Belle?  I guess I'll just try to be hopeful.  I can't see Rubenstein making himself the public face of the franchise and then turning around and basically saying this is going to be my cash cow.  I guess we'll soon find out.  I have to admit I am looking forward to this way more than the election.  lol

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm really impressed Burnes went 7 tonight.  I'm sure in the back of his mind he wants to make sure he stays healthy to grab that mega contract but nights like tonight are why the O's traded for him to be their ace, not the 5 inning games.

I think Burnes gets 5 days rest because of the off day tomorrow so it seems like a good spot to push him a little.  He only threw 107, so its not like we went Dusty Baker on him.

I mentioned that I think Hyde has to manage our starters a little less delicately with our bullpen sucking.  It looks Hyde is inclined to agree with this.

3 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

Sorry I’m not Gretzky fan , lol . And don’t know any of his quotes. But I would love to hear it , if you can share.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

It has also been attributed to Michael Jordan. The internet is the internet so it might have been said by someone else before either of those 2 guys. No one knows for sure. But it's a great quote.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I have to admit I am all for resigning Burnes too, I just can't remember the last time the O's signed a free agent the other top teams wanted.  I don't think even Chris Davis fits that category because the O's were bidding against themselves.  Albert Belle?  I guess I'll just try to be hopeful.  I can't see Rubenstein making himself the public face of the franchise and then turning around and basically saying this is going to be my cash cow.  I guess we'll soon find out.  I have to admit I am looking forward to this way more than the election.  lol

Miguel Tejada and Javy Lopez?

That’s your game one starter boys and girls. So whenever you’re down on this team, just know that we have that horse going Game 1 of any series. 

That lineup reminded me of the Fernando Lunar lineups that the Braves would toss out. Haha. Or the Fernando Lunar lineups we would toss out???

Give this dude what he wants. Our pitching lab can load management him over a 7 year deal. Elias hasn’t pounded the table yet for a big money move, but this should be his first. 

Throwing out t shirts and spraying people with a hose is cool and all but Ruby needs to open that wallet if he wants to be loved.  At least by me, maybe yall can love him over some free t shirts and hose water. 

The guy K’d 5 and BB’d 3 against a weak, non-contending offense, coming off a game vs the worst team in the league allowing 3 R on 7 H & 2 BB over 6 IP, and we’re now ready to open up the checkbooks for a blockbuster deal?