Bullpen 2024

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Most definitely.  But you would think there would be some arm at Norfolk that could help.  Wanda’s on Charles is maybe the only love arm down there.   On the good side, you can build a pen. Texas did last year.  The lesson this team needs to learn is playing to win the division is likely not worth the wear and tear.  Just play for the wild card.  We might still have Bautista if every game wasn’t so must win last year. 

Perhaps Povich provides punch?

Suarez will be in the pen from now on. He’ll be there once he’s recovered from this start. That’ll give us another arm for RH SU man. 

We need to score more runs. 

Bautista blew 6 saves last year. 7 if you count the ASG. He did that through August. 

The bullpen has mattered so much because the Orioles are playing well. 

In the last

-13 games the Orioles had the lead going into the 9th in 10 games. One game tied. Went 9-4   

-in first 14 games had leads going into 9th in 7 games with one tie. Went 8-6 with the comeback over KC and tie game win plus loss with a lead in Pittsburgh. 

Edited by eddie83
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Suarez will be in the pen from now on. He’ll be there once he’s recovered from this start. That’ll give us another arm for RH SU man. 

Bautista blew 6 saves last year. 7 if you count the ASG. He did that through August. 

We lead the AL in runs. 

It is getting a bit worrisome. Last year at this time Bautista and Cano were nearly unhittable, currently no one in the pen is even close to that. I didn't expect Kimbrel to be lights out, but I thought he would be a little less....bipolar?

Hoping they can add via trade sometime midseason. I know I was fairly comfortable in close games last year. This year I feel like if we aren't up by a fair amount by the time the starter exits there could be problems. Thankfully this offense will always give you a chance.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His degree of difficulty was higher than almost any/all other closers. He was asked on multiple occasions to get 4 and 5 out saves. A few times I believed that he pitched 2 innings. He was frequently used 3 out of 4 games, sometime 4 out of 5/6.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Perhaps Povich provides punch?

The guy that might be really good would be Kremer but I don’t think they would pull him from the rotation.   I could see Kremer getting up to 98 or so in a closer role with 4 pitches. 

I hopeful Suarez and Wells can give us 2 more reliable guys. That will give us 4 (Kimbrel now excluded until further notice). At least that way we won’t have to rely on the same guys in almost every single game that we have a lead.

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

His degree of difficulty was higher than almost any/all other closers. He was asked on multiple occasions to get 4 and 5 out saves. A few times I believed that he pitched 2 innings. He was frequently used 3 out of 4 games, sometime 4 out of 5/6.

Nah that’s not true. Isn’t Kimbrel leading the AL on appearances by closers?  Can’t get much more difficult then that. 

When you win a bunch of games, and ask your close to be on pace for 50 saves, your closer is going to blow 6-7 saves a year. It happens. 

32 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The bullpen has mattered so much because the Orioles are playing well. 

In the last

-13 games the Orioles had the lead going into the 9th in 10 games. One game tied. Went 9-4   

-in first 14 games had leads going into 9th in 7 games with one tie. Went 8-6 with the comeback over KC and tie game win plus loss with a lead in Pittsburgh. 

Further breakdown. 
- save chance for Orioles going into 9th in 4 games in first 14 

- save chance in last 13 games going into 9th was 7 

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nah that’s not true. Isn’t Kimbrel leading the AL on appearances by closers?  Can’t get much more difficult then that. 

When you win a bunch of games, and ask your close to be on pace for 50 saves, your closer is going to blow 6-7 saves a year. It happens. 

What?!?

Felix Bautista had NINE appearances that were more than 3 outs including FIVE 2 inning appearances in 2023. Those are the facts.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

We lead the AL in runs. 

But unlike last year, we have a losing record in 1-run games. And amazingly the A's have a winning record in 1-run games (according to the stats that Kevin Brown mentioned today).

1 minute ago, rm5678 said:

But unlike last year, we have a losing record in 1-run games. And amazingly the A's have a winning record in 1-run games (according to the stats that Kevin Brown mentioned today).

The A’s have an elite bullpen.  They’re going to surprise some people this year.

26 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What?!?

Felix Bautista had NINE appearances that were more than 3 outs including FIVE 2 inning appearances in 2023. Those are the facts.

And then his arm broke

9 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

The A’s have an elite bullpen.  They’re going to surprise some people this year.

I wouldn't call it elite, but it's good enough to keep them from being really terrible. 

I don't believe in the whole "1-run games are just luck" BS. If you have a bad back end of your bullpen it's going to negatively impact your record in 1-run games.