Bullpen 2024

13 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Reverse jinx lock.

BRB driving to Vegas and putting $5000 a game on the O's.  

Be back in 10 hours.  :) 

Actually I am going Thursday to Sunday.  

Nailed it!  For $1500.   Lock of the week.

Also cleared around $45 K profit on CAUD today.

Nice day. :)

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

Available out of the bullpen tomorrow:

Baumann, Webb, Ramirez, maybe Perez.  I hope that Hyde doesn't feel the need to go to Kimbrel.  I hate to say it, but if the O's are being blowin out, that's the game I would put Kimbrel in. 

Need a gem from Kremer tomorrow. 

Any chance we see a Tyler Wells return tomorrow?  

He went on the IL on 4/13. It’s been 15 days. The team said it was originally precautionary. If he’s been throwing then it’s possible. We are pretty desperate for bullpen help. Wells could try and give it a go tomorrow and if he fails and needs a stint in AAA, then we could just simply option him. He has an option. 

Just throwing that out there. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Any chance we see a Tyler Wells return tomorrow?  

He went on the IL on 4/13. It’s been 15 days. The team said it was originally precautionary. If he’s been throwing then it’s possible. We are pretty desperate for bullpen help. Wells could try and give it a go tomorrow and if he fails and needs a stint in AAA, then we could just simply option him. He has an option. 

Just throwing that out there. 

No, he's got 30 days for Rehab assignments after he comes off the IL.

11 hours ago, justD said:

Danny Coulombe was interviewed postgame tonight. He said something interesting in response to a question on the importance of communication.

He said each guy knows ahead of time who he’ll be brought in to face, what situations, and having that communicated to him by Hyde ahead of time, so they know what to expect, is something Hyde is really good at, and it’s really important.

Although I had considered, bc it seemed pretty obvious, that Hyde deploys his bullpen pretty much by the numbers (so to speak), this new info makes me see that if he went more by feel than plan, his guys would no longer be as comfortable about their role that night.

I had always heard guys say they sit ready to be called in whatever spot they’re called, and the trick is to be ready whether that’s the 5th, 7th or even 9th.

This seems like a completely different approach. 

This makes a lot of sense and is a really good post.

These relievers aren’t shocked when they enter the game. Heck, they probably already have a good idea of their pitch sequences for all the different outcomes of the ABs versus the guys they are aware of. 

It’s all about execution. These guys have a good idea of what to expect. Hyde and Elias just aren’t doing things on the fly. This makes the idea of coming out of the pen and walking guys that much more frustrating. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, justD said:

Danny Coulombe was interviewed postgame tonight. He said something interesting in response to a question on the importance of communication.

He said each guy knows ahead of time who he’ll be brought in to face, what situations, and having that communicated to him by Hyde ahead of time, so they know what to expect, is something Hyde is really good at, and it’s really important.

Although I had considered, bc it seemed pretty obvious, that Hyde deploys his bullpen pretty much by the numbers (so to speak), this new info makes me see that if he went more by feel than plan, his guys would no longer be as comfortable about their role that night.

I had always heard guys say they sit ready to be called in whatever spot they’re called, and the trick is to be ready whether that’s the 5th, 7th or even 9th.

This seems like a completely different approach. 

This is great until something doesn’t go as planned 

Are Cano and Coloumbe off the table tonight?  It would be 3 in a row for them, but if we have a lead in the 7th and 8th then it becomes a discussion. It would guarantee a split in this series, and the added importance of these 19 games vs NYY. But… that’s also that line of thinking gassed out Bautista last year, and has gotten Kimbrel this year. 

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Are Cano and Coloumbe off the table tonight?  It would be 3 in a row for them, but if we have a lead in the 7th and 8th then it becomes a discussion. It would guarantee a split in this series, and the added importance of these 19 games vs NYY. But… that’s also that line of thinking gassed out Bautista last year, and has gotten Kimbrel this year. 

No way Cano is available. He pitched back to back 1+ innings and also pitched on Friday. Coulombe has also pitched back to back and 3 of 4. They should both get the day off, and ideally more. Akin probably should be on the shelf after 32 pitches on Sunday. 

I think we will almost certainly see Baumann in any situation, and my hunch is Elias/Hyde are looking for a spot to have Ramirez eat some innings before he is DFA, but we would need a big lead or throw-in-the-towel situation.

45 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

13 games vs. NYY, not 19 like the old days.  

I don’t think we see Coulombe or Cano tonight.  We might not see Akin, who threw 2 innings on Sunday.  And I’m sure Hyde wants more rest for Kimbrel.  So that leaves Baumann, Webb, Perez (who worked last night) and Ramirez, who hasn’t pitched in a week.  Could be ugly.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

13 games vs. NYY, not 19 like the old days.  

I don’t think we see Coulombe or Cano tonight.  We might not see Akin, who threw 2 innings on Sunday.  And I’m sure Hyde wants more rest for Kimbrel.  So that leaves Baumann, Webb, Perez (who worked last night) and Ramirez, who hasn’t pitched in a week.  Could be ugly.  

I have some confidence in Webb and Perez. None in Baumann and Ramirez. 

16 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think we might see Akin.  Unfortunately, he's likely to be sent down when Means is activated, so he can rest up while he's in Norfolk.  

Then again, Baumann might be pitching for his Oriole life tonight.  

I doubt Hyde wants to lose someone he trusts (Akin) to keep someone he doesn’t (Baumann), just because Baumann is out of options.

Ramirez and Baumann should be the clear cut options to go for Bradish and Means, so hopefully Elias doesn’t overthink it. Keeping Baumann due to him not having options shouldn’t be important if he isn’t any good/reliable. Tate, Charles, Heasley, and Vespi are all in AAA and aren’t much worse than him, if at all. 

16 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I have some confidence in Webb and Perez. None in Baumann and Ramirez. 

We've barely seen Ramirez.  Obviously, his April 20 appearance was comically bad (10 pitches, one HBP, two wild pitches, a walk and a hit in 1/3 of an inning).  His last outing was solid, retiring 4 of the 5 batters he faced.  I'm very skeptical of him, but if he's on the roster, use him.