Bullpen 2024

I think this bullpen is suffering from not having any elite velocity out of the pen. Everyone they run out there is 92-96 for the most part and as we've seen in the A's series, and by having Felix, having guys who can throw the ball by you is pretty valuable, and we don't have one of those guys this year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think this bullpen is suffering from not having any elite velocity out of the pen. Everyone they run out there is 92-96 for the most part and as we've seen in the A's series, and by having Felix, having guys who can throw the ball by you is pretty valuable, and we don't have one of those guys this year.

They definitely could use that. On the bright side, Akin is about 75th percentile in whiff rate while Cano and Kimbrel are 90th. Coulombe gets a lot of K’s but an average amount of whiffs. They can clearly use another guy in the late innings with high Velo that can get swings and misses. Wells will get an above average rate of whiffs but he’s not that guy. 

This bullpen issue is being blown way out of proportion, based on Kimbrel sucking and single handedly costing the team 2 wins this weekend.

Outside of Kimbrel, the pen:

Cano - 1.19 WHIP, 167 ERA+
Akin - 0.92 WHIP, 109 ERA+
Webb - 1.00 WHIP, 168 ERA+
DC - 0.618 WHIP, 119 ERA+

Will be back up
Tate - 1.026 WHIP, 133 ERA+

Likely additions to the pen when Bradish and Means arrive

Irvin - 1.23 WHIP, 106 ERA+
Suarez - 1.10 WHIP, 160 ERA+

Baumann and Ramirez stink and will probably be gone shortly.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Big gutsy move of Hyde to use Akin tonight.  Akin looked good too.  Would be nice to have a blowout win tomorrow and use Ramirez and Baumann.  Send Ramirez to Norfolk.  Is Baumann out of options?

He is.

You’d have to think that Irvin is available out of the pen tonight if need be for an inning or possibly just to face Soto in a one off in the 6th/7th/8th. 

I haven’t heard anything official as to if Irvin or Suarez will be starting any of our next series. I’m sure it’s a wait and see approach with Bradish tomorrow. 

With that said… I could see Irvin being used over the next two days if we really need too.

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Huge outings by Webb and Akin. Webb seemed especially fired up. One of Baumann/Ramirez goes for Bradish on Thursday.  

When can Suarez first be used?  Thursday?  Friday?

Webb was hilarious in the postgame. I was ready to get rid of him in the offseason but starting to come around. The grand slam in game 2 was crushing but at least partially on Baker for forcing Webb in the game at that point.

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Huge outings by Webb and Akin. Webb seemed especially fired up. One of Baumann/Ramirez goes for Bradish on Thursday.  

When can Suarez first be used?  Thursday?  Friday?

There’s s no question in my mind that Ramirez goes first but Baumann looks like he’s next.   Is there any way they option Akin to buy more time for Baumann when Means is activated?  

Just now, RZNJ said:

There’s s no question in my mind that Ramirez goes first but Baumann looks like he’s next.   Is there any way they option Akin to buy more time for Baumann when Means is activated?  

Akin's been good this year, I don't think there's a reason to option him for saving Baumann.

Webb was juiced up man. His stuff played up in the 9th. It also doesn't hurt when Stanton swings at a pitch in the other batter's box. The pitch didn't even start as a strike, it was a ball out of the hand. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Akin's been good this year, I don't think there's a reason to option him for saving Baumann.

I didn’t endorse the move.  I just wondered if they might do it.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I didn't say you endorsed it either.  

I hope they don't.

Baumann is expendable, there's no reason to keep him around.  Akin, if healthy, can be pretty good.  He throws strikes. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I would bet on optioning Akin and would support the move. I think there is a lot of recency bias going on. Akin is pitching better right now but Elias's m.o. is to keep control of as much talent as possible. I'd rather give Baumann a chance to fail and still have Akin than risk Akin failing without an apparent alternative.