Bullpen 2024

9 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Akin’s K/BB rates haven’t been as good recently but he’s giving up nothing in terms of hard contact. His xERA is 2.01, almost a full run lower than his actual ERA, so if anything he’s been unlucky. Baumann has definitely been pitching better as well, but it’s pretty clear that Akin is the better pitcher and more trusted by Hyde. That’s not to say Akin won’t get sent down, but I don’t think it’s normal to send a guy down with a 2.84 ERA, 2.01 xERA, and 20% K-BB%. 

Edit - they announced the Baumann DFA. I still don’t love losing him because his arm is good, but no chance I would have sent Akin down with how good he’s been. If they need to call someone up to cover mop up duty like Baumann, they have Tate and Heasley. Then Strowd potentially too. 

Yes, looking at May splits isn’t too fair as we’re talking about 5.1 IP for Akin.  And if I recall correctly, some of those IP may have been on limited rest during Kimbrel’s struggles.

Overall, I’m not too sad to see Bauman go. He’ll tease you but can’t be relied upon. It will be interesting to see Palmer’s reaction as he seemed very impressed with Bauman’s 10 wins last year.

• Like 1

Lol, I am shocked. Really thought they would use Kremer's blister, find a pothole for someone to step in, or option Akin in the worst case scenario. I would have to think Baumann will definitely be claimed. Maybe they have confidence in their AAA depth. I guess when the spot opens up we still have Tate with an option, or we could open up a spot for McDermott or Povich. Davidson could be used in a pinch as well. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Webb has had some ugly lines lately. Time to bump up Irvin and Suarez and get Webb some rest. 

Today - 0 IP, H, 2 BB, 2 ER

5/17 - 0.1 IP, 2 H

5/15 - 1.0 IP, 3 BB

5/13 - 1.1 IP, 1 unearned run

I agree. Webb needs some rest.

17 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm curious about what's going on with Tyler Wells and what the plan is with him and the roster.

Hasn't even started throwing yet, last I heard.   The plan is there is no plan until he gets healthier and I don't think they know when that will be.

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree. Webb needs some rest.

Dont like to criticize  Hyde, but if Irvin was available today, why not let him start the 7th and possibly complete the game.

Just now, Safelykept said:

Dont like to criticize  Hyde, but if Irvin was available today, why not let him start the 7th and possibly complete the game.

They usually bring guys in based on predetermined matchups.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They usually bring guys in based on predetermined matchups.

I know Elias/Sig/Hyde think they are being smarter than everyone but it is putting extra wear and tear on our bullpen.  I don't think it's fair to blame this all on Hyde which is what I've been doing.  He's obviously running the bullpen the way he's been told is the most effective. The bullpen is starting to show the effects of that excessive use with formerly rock solid guys like Coulombe  and Cano looking shaky and blowing up in some games.  Obviously the bullpen is going to give up runs, but you can't manage bullpen like it's 1990.

• Upvote 1

You now have an eight-man bullpen that includes two starters (long men) - Irvin and Suarez. IMO, the latter have to be melded into more regular and longer use. Irwin hadn't pitched in eight days when he came in today. Suarz has also been seldom used. That puts a lot of work/pressure on the other six. I have doubts this will work long term. Webb today, was the canary in the coal mine. Structure is on Elias - use on Hyde. Will be interesting to watch with 118 games to go.

43 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

You now have an eight-man bullpen that includes two starters (long men) - Irvin and Suarez. IMO, the latter have to be melded into more regular and longer use. Irwin hadn't pitched in eight days when he came in today. Suarz has also been seldom used. That puts a lot of work/pressure on the other six. I have doubts this will work long term. Webb today, was the canary in the coal mine. Structure is on Elias - use on Hyde. Will be interesting to watch with 118 games to go.

Supposedly they are going to a six man rotation. I hope they don't. Irvin can contribute out of the pen.

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

If they go to a 6 man rotation, it's a 7 man bullpen.  If Hyde doesn't use someone for several days like he just did with Kimbrel, it's like a 6 man bullpen.  I have serious doubts about this working w/o the Norfolk shuttle.