Bullpen 2024

Orioles lost the 2 games this weekend and the heartbreaker at Pittsburgh in the 9th. 

The pen hasn’t been great but until this weekend it had been fine. Issue right now is all mainly about Kimbrel. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Sure. That was an option. Will still be an option going forward. 

May have to wanted to see what he had first. I don’t think it’s unreasonable. 

I think he had a pretty good idea what he had.

Are you surprised?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he had a pretty good idea what he had.

Are you surprised?

I’m not surprised that Kimbrel has not been perfect. I expected all along we would deal for an arm at some point. 

If Kimbrel is hurt/ineffective it changes everything. I wasn’t expecting him to be dominant but solid. He was solid until this week. 

Maybe the O's rely much less on a closer going forward.

They have 8 starters which will probably be 9 when Wells comes back in a week or two.

Burnes, GRod, Kremer, Bradish, Means.  They can go 5 to 7 innings per start.   Irvin, Suarez, Povich and Wells can piggyback with them and pitch the 6th or 7th through the ninth or tenth.    Use the other relievers for an inning when needed.

Its not written anywhere that a team has to have a closer.

This will not help for the Yankee series but by the time they get to Reds and going forward this may help.

When Kimbrel goes on the IL this week, just go with Closer by committee until Suarez assumes the role, cano as setup guy, dfa ramirez when Bradish gets called up and pray that Perez comes back to form or Charles can make a cano-like jump in command. July we will bolster the bullpen via trade and hopefully by then kimbrel will actually be healthy.

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe the O's rely much less on a closer going forward.

They have 8 starters which will probably be 9 when Wells comes back in a week or two.

Burnes, GRod, Kremer, Bradish, Means.  They can go 5 to 7 innings per start.   Irvin, Suarez, Povich and Wells can piggyback with them and pitch the 6th or 7th through the ninth or tenth.    Use the other relievers for an inning when needed.

Its not written anywhere that a team has to have a closer.

This will not help for the Yankee series but by the time they get to Reds and going forward this may help.

I hope all options are being considered.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

One thing that I will say about the pen is how clear the difference in quality of relievers were this weekend between what we have and what the A's have. Their pen is way better than ours.

Mainly Erceg and even more so Miller.   We had Felix but now we have no one like that.   The A’s stink but they have a championship caliber bullpen.   

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Why does Elias insist on doing nothing?

Because he has a team still on 102 win pace and he has Bradish, Means, Wells, and Cionel Perez all coming back soon.   It won’t answer the question of Kimbrel but the bullpen should be a lot deeper.  

The lack of decent bullpen options at Norfolk is borderline stunning. In a fit of desperation,I looked to see how Teddy Sharkey was doing but he isn’t doing much either.   If McDermott could be trusted to throw strikes, maybe you could put him in the bullpen.  Anyhow, it’s pretty bleak how few options there are in the minors. 

Just now, baltfan said:

The lack of decent bullpen options at Norfolk is borderline stunning. In a fit of desperation,I looked to see how Teddy Sharkey was doing but he isn’t doing much either.   If McDermott could be trusted to throw strikes, maybe you could put him in the bullpen.  Anyhow, it’s pretty bleak how few options there are in the minors. 

Elias spent multiple drafts heavily investing in position players.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias spent multiple drafts heavily investing in position players.

Most definitely.  But you would think there would be some arm at Norfolk that could help.  Wanda’s on Charles is maybe the only love arm down there.   On the good side, you can build a pen. Texas did last year.  The lesson this team needs to learn is playing to win the division is likely not worth the wear and tear.  Just play for the wild card.  We might still have Bautista if every game wasn’t so must win last year.