The Defense Thread, 2024

Frobby

Posted (edited)

Let me see if I have done this correctly:

https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7tgd3tufIUmaZP356/reels/4-1-o-s-vs-royals-notable-defensive-plays?partnerId=web_multimedia-search_video-share

Hopefully I have captured here all the good and bad (or questionable) plays discussed in this thread for last night's game.   There were ten of them!   That's a huge number compared to most nights.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

The difference with Bautista is it doesn't matter because a strikeout is coming almost no matter what. That's why we won so many tie games on the road - he was a cheat code against the ghost runner rule. It just didn't really matter. 

Kimbrel is a strikeout pitcher. He always has been. He'll be fine in that role this year. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Does it really matter?

In the grand scheme of things?  No, none of this stuff does.

In The Defense Thread, 2024 it is one of the most notable incidents.

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/dean-kremer-in-play-no-out-to-maikel-garcia?q=PlayerId %3D%3D [602104] AND Season %3D [2024] Order By Timestamp DESC&cp=MIXED&p=0

Garcia can fly too. The ball just got on him really quick. Urias was drawn in. Not at error IMO after watching the video. 

After watching the replay where the camera doesn't show the ball until Urias boots it twice, you decided that it is not an error?

image.thumb.png.a4e52ea477a52d2c0a141a8d5bc5b67b.png

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

After watching the replay where the camera doesn't show the ball until Urias boots it twice, you decided that it is not an error?

image.thumb.png.a4e52ea477a52d2c0a141a8d5bc5b67b.png

To me, it really depends on whether you think Urias would have gotten the runner if he'd picked up the ball after it ticked off his glove the first time.  I think if Urias had picked up the ball cleanly after it glanced off his glove and the runner had been safe anyway, it would have been called a hit.  But the second bobble killed any chance of throwing the runner out.   

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

"poor relay"?

Or lazily played ball and typical weak throw?

It is posted for the reader to judge.   Did Mullins go after the ball 100%?   Does a CF with a better arm get the runner?  Was Westburg properly positioned to receive the throw and was his tag done well?   Go back a few pages and you'll see all these issues were suggested by various posters.

Edited by Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is posted for the reader to judge.   Did Mullins go after the ball 100%?   Does a CF with a better arm get the runner?  Was Westburg properly positioned to receive the throw and was his tag done well?   Gp back a few pages and you'll see all these issues were suggested.

Where Mullins recovers the ball and starts his throw.

image.thumb.png.fd00b5a710c466a0a1b68003c8636af3.png

Where the ball hits the ground

image.thumb.png.965a5df96d4d18ea4cb2f290ab5469f7.png

And Westburg getting it on the 2nd hop

image.thumb.png.fbc4c16ab4319c5c78206c507caa738e.png

Can’t believe how many people think Hays should have called Henderson off on the blooper in the 9th.  You don’t call for a ball if you’re not sure you can get there.   I don’t think Hays could have gotten there.  Henderson had the better chance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Can’t believe how many people think Hays should have called Henderson off on the blooper in the 9th.  You don’t call for a ball if you’re not sure you can get there.   I don’t think Hays could have gotten there.  Henderson had the better chance.

Agree, but what Hays should have done was give up on it way earlier or indicate to Henderson that it was his ball. I think Gunnar hesitated because he was running full steam right at Hays who was running towards him as well.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Agree, but what Hays should have done was give up on it way earlier or indicate to Henderson that it was his ball. I think Gunnar hesitated because he was running full steam right at Hays who was running towards him as well.

I don’t think Hays did anything wrong on that play.  Nada.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I think they both hesitated at the last second, and I’m glad they did.  If they’d collided, Gunnar might have had some broken bones and Hays might be dead!

That’s a real tough play for all concerned.  It’s Hays’ ball if he can catch it, but I don’t think he knew if he could get there until it was too late to call off Gunnar.  Just one of those unfortunate plays.