Gunnar Henderson 2024

28 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Why does it seem like all the pundits pick Witt over Gunnar, when Gunnar is younger and already measurably better right now?

27 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Anti-Baltimore bias. It’s a real thing whether people want to admit it or not. 

If Witt was on the Yankees or Red Sox I might be inclined to agree. I think it is more that Witt was a 1:2 pick and has been established a year longer. Actually from what I have seen lots of pundits would take Gunnar. I was listening to a stream of WFAN yesterday and at least one of the NY guys was saying he would take Gunnar over Judge right now. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

If Witt was on the Yankees or Red Sox I might be inclined to agree. I think it is more that Witt was a 1:2 pick and has been established a year longer. Actually from what I have seen lots of pundits would take Gunnar. I was listening to a stream of WFAN yesterday and at least one of the NY guys was saying he would take Gunnar over Judge right now. 

The tide may be turning quickly but I've mostly seen Witt picked over Gunnar. By the end of the year maybe that's not even a discussion anymore.

11 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Current pace:

140 R

179 H

32 Doubles

9 Triples

52 HRs

114 RBI

.284 / .381 / .610 and 11.7 WAR. 

Absolutely insane numbers.  For reference, here are some O’s single season bests on bb-reference (I’m only counting post 1954 Baltimore seasons and excluding SLBs like Sisler) which Gunnar’s pace puts into play.

• 132 runs = Alomar 1996
  • 53 HRs = Crush 2013
  • 198 OPS+ = Frank 1966 (Gunnar currently at 185 which just behind second place ‘61 Gentile and ‘67 Frank at 187) 
  • 11.5 bWAR = Ripken 1991

Gunnar at 22 is tracking Ripken ROY to MVP steps at same ages except he also has elite speed/baserunning.  

He's the best all-around SS in the game. He's been remarkably consistent, his "bad" month was a .888 OPS. If he can stay this consistent all year it is going to be hard to justify not giving him the MVP, even with Judge playing out of his mind again. Gunnar has a much more complete game than Judge.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's the best all-around SS in the game. He's been remarkably consistent, his "bad" month was a .888 OPS. If he can stay this consistent all year it is going to be hard to justify not giving him the MVP, even with Judge playing out of his mind again. Gunnar has a much more complete game than Judge.

Agree with this. What he has done the first 2+months isnt normal. Gunnar's like the best player in the game. 

2 hours ago, G54377 said:

Why does it seem like all the pundits pick Witt over Gunnar, when Gunnar is younger and already measurably better right now?

Gunnars leading comfortably over Witt in All-Star voting. So the fans or at least voters like Gunnar more. Both deserve in though.

If the Orioles believe 2024 is anywhere near what we can expect of Gunnar going forward then IMO they have to sign him to a long term extension. He's your franchise player, along the lines of Cal, Brooks, Palmer, and Frank Robinson. You cannot let him walk. Ever. Unless he and Boras demand an Ohtani-ish payday you do whatever it takes to get him to sign on the line that is dotted. 

15/500?

20/600?

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Sure but isn’t Gunnar in like, the 98th percentile? His almost 30 f/s is elite elite 

This is according to Baseball Savant. Witt is 100th percentile for Sprint Speed while Gunnar is 89th.

They're both great players, but I'll take Gunnar.

Gunnar:

image.thumb.png.b491cec00654e18e526d8b533a9d6d50.png

Witt:

image.thumb.png.8f59236b045b18a56d7583957013dc45.png

8 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If the Orioles believe 2024 is anywhere near what we can expect of Gunnar going forward then IMO they have to sign him to a long term extension. He's your franchise player, along the lines of Cal, Brooks, Palmer, and Frank Robinson. You cannot let him walk. Ever. Unless he and Boras demand an Ohtani-ish payday you do whatever it takes to get him to sign on the line that is dotted. 

15/500?

20/600?

I think opt outs are necessary for any chance at Gunnar signing. It's going to have to be a wow offer with Boras as his agent.