Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Just checked some box scores-- I believe the O's have let a SP start an inning at 90+ pitches only once all year. Grayson was sent out for the 7th inning on April 5th vs Pittsburgh, at 92 pitches. The only other close one I found, Kremer was sent out for the 6th on April 24th at LAA, at 89 pitches. 

For what it's worth, on both occasions the pitcher gave up a HR and didn't finish the inning. 

I’m not going to pillory Hyde for his decision.   The top of the order was due up, and they’d seen Grayson three times, so I get it.  And Perez got them out 1-2-3.   However, Grayson was dealing, and the previous run through the top of the order, he’d gone strikeout, strikeout, ground out.  So, I would have liked to challenge Grayson there.  We’ve only had one start where the starter has pitched into the 7th inning in the last 18 games.  I think Grayson was pretty well positioned to do it.   It’s not the end of the world, but I would have made a different decision unless GRod said he was tired.  

Edited by Frobby

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not going to pillory Hyde for his decision.   The top of the order was due up, and they’d seen Grayson three times, so I get it.  And Perez got them out 1-2-3.   However, Grayson was dealing, and the previous run through the top of the order, he’d gone strikeout, strikeout, ground out.  So, I would have liked to challenge Grayson there.  We’ve only had one start where the starter has pitched into the 7th inning in the last 18 games.  I think Grayson was pretty well positioned to do it.   It’s not the end of the world, but I would have made a different decision unless GRod said he was tired.  

Agreed.  GRod should have pitched the 7th until someone got on base or if someone had a really long at bat.  Give him 15 pitches to get out of the inning.

That said, they lost that game the moment they didn’t score with the bases loaded and no one out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed.  GRod should have pitched the 7th until someone got on base or if someone had a really long at bat.  Give him 15 pitches to get out of the inning.

That said, they lost that game the moment they didn’t score with the bases loaded and no one out.

Yep that’s when I turned it off. Pinch hitting Hays started the turn of fortune in this game. Doesn’t matter that there’s a LH on the mound. You give Stowers the opportunity to hit. 

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yep that’s when I turned it off. Pinch hitting Hays started the turn of fortune in this game. Doesn’t matter that there’s a LH on the mound. You give Stowers the opportunity to hit. 

I don’t disagree but Hays got screwed on a bad call and that hurt that at bat.

Of course, he didn’t need to swing at a pitch 2 feet outside either.

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If Stowers would have taken advantage of the 1st & 3rd, 1 out, opportunity in the first, maybe he would have been given a chance. Also, Mountcastle PH for Stowers.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He was probably screwed on the call because he was diving over the plate for a pitch 2 feet outside on a ball that was 4 inches inside. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The second pitch that was kind of inside, but felt like a bad take. He stared at the first one right down the middle. And couldn’t catch up to a FB on the outside corner. 

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If Stowers would have taken advantage of the 1st & 3rd, 1 out, opportunity in the first, maybe he would have been given a chance. Also, Mountcastle PH for Stowers.

Yeah he probably would have, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have had the opportunity in the 6th. It’s not a fail one time and you’re out sport. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Also can’t fault Hyde because we’re clearly doing the load management thing with our SP and we should be. Heck, only Burnes and Irvin haven’t hit the IL. I always go back to the comment about how Hyde said we were so tired in the playoffs last year and needed that break. 

I think the strategy is that the bullpen is replaceable part’s essentially other than the top guys over 162. We’ll see how Elias GMs at the deadline. 

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The second pitch that was kind of inside, but felt like a bad take. He stared at the first one right down the middle. And couldn’t catch up to a FB on the outside corner. 

And fouled off a hanging curveball right over the middle of the plate. That was the one to hit.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was really unhappy with the first two innings but I was pleased to see how he responded to the adversity.  In past games he might have let that snowball.  Instead, he dominated those last four innings.  In fact, I was a little disappointed that Hyde didn’t send him out for the 7th inning, sitting on 90 pitches. 

Probably because of the long bottom of the 6th. 

The recovery was good, but last night reinforced a vague feeling watching Grayson start to start is kind of like watching Baumann game to game, just on a higher plane of baseball performance.

Manny Machado look alike Bernardino's bases loaded escape was the biggest moment, but Baumann mode Grayson giving the 3-2 lead right back with a second poor inning was also a big setback.

It is certainly true governors are on almost all top pitchers with easy playoff access, and pleasant the Orioles are on that top tier of clubs.   

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The recovery was good, but last night reinforced a vague feeling watching Grayson start to start is kind of like watching Baumann game to game, just on a higher plane of baseball performance.   

I kinda get what you are saying because Graysons stuff (117 stuff+ this year) and dominance at times tempts us to believe he should be even better.  Last night he generated 18 swings+misses and 10Ks, but sure did leave a few meatball sliders and changes in the first two innings.

i just keep reminding myself that at 24yrs old in second full big league season that Grayson is not yet fully formed.  He’s going to continue to get better and refine his arsenal, fine tuning fastball command and hopefully throwing less dud offspeeds.  

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

And fouled off a hanging curveball right over the middle of the plate. That was the one to hit.

Yes, he did miss a hittable pitch there.  The strike that was inside definitely hurt Hays in that AB but that next pitch wasn’t where the pitcher wanted.  The one that struck him out was an excellent pitch just a little off the outside corner.  

In fairness, nobody’s doing much off Bernardino this year.  RHB are hitting .125, LHB .122 and he has an 0.78 ERA.  Sometimes you have to give the other guy some credit.