Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

I was watching the game today while driving home from Laughlin NV from a bowling tourney on my phone and I told my wife when Hyde came out after 1st and 3rd and 100 pitches that he should have been pulled.  G Rod was gassed and there was nothing that could be gained by keeping him in.

Hyde kept him in.

I said the same last year when Felix was walking everyone and throwing 50 pitches during the All Star game in his one inning.  You could clearly see he was laboring.  I hated that he was kept in for that and I hated that Hyde didn't pull G Rod today when he came out.  Instead he labored through 10 more pitches to the next batter and ended up giving up a run scoring single.

Let's hope that what happened to FB does not happen to G Rod because of this.    Sometimes I think these coaches have no idea what in the hell they are doing.

The crosspressures yesterday were interesting.

Team is on 10th game of the 30 in 31 days (7-3 in the first third).

Grayson growing on a very good day.    107 pitches a new MLB career high.

If Brandon Lowe ties it on Batter Faced 20, the TTOP marketing department has a field day with how it doesn't matter if the starter is throwing a good game or not.

Lowe being a platoon guy and Coulombe-Cionel-Akin being a 3 deep lefty bullpen.    He's one of the only potent bats in their lineup this year with team power having more or less gone first to worst.

Hyde also has the judgment call whether or not to irritate a starter with automatic bullpen guy up during the 6th inning while they have a no-no going.

A lot of interesting stuff because it isn't hard to picture a similar scenario with a lot more on the line in an ALWC game 3 decider, or later in a longer series.    Even next week at Yankee Stadium when Batter Faced 20 is Juan Soto, not Brandon Lowe.

• Upvote 2

Yandy a month shy of his 33rd birthday losing 60 points of OPS+ this year some of their struggle but he has long been a world class tough out.

His 3-year speed percentile scan is 44-32-10 too.    Certainly watching the game Yandy was one of the guys in their lineup I felt like is about as good at what he does as Grayson is.

But for the new infield dirt rules, Gunnar could probably do that late Pujols thing playing SS from shallow LF.

Grod has 6th inning-itis.  He is steadily improving which is all you can ask for.  He’s not Ace caliber yet, but I believe he will get there.  Going strong in the 6th & 7th is his next test.  With that said, he had a fantastic performance yesterday.  A lot of positives and things to build on. 

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Grod has 6th inning-itis.  He is steadily improving which is all you can ask for.  He’s not Ace caliber yet, but I believe he will get there.  Going strong in the 6th & 7th is his next test.  With that said, he had a fantastic performance yesterday.  A lot of positives and things to build on. 

He has a 3.38 ERA and a 614 OPS against him in the 6th inning this year.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has a 3.38 ERA and a 614 OPS against him in the 6th inning this year.

Interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out. I think with only 8ip so far this year it's a little too hard to tell for certain.  That's his 3rd worst inning (1st being the worst & 4th being the second worst).  He's only logged 1ip in the 7th.  The eye test tells me he struggles in 6th and is often working on empty.  It will be interesting to see how these numbers change throughout the remainder of the year.  For sure, he isn't throwing up stinkers in the 6th, it just looks like he's laboring and competing his butt off to get through.  I expect he improves moving forward.  

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out. I think with only 8ip so far this year it's a little too hard to tell for certain.  That's his 3rd worst inning (1st being the worst & 4th being the second worst).  He's only logged 1ip in the 7th.  The eye test tells me he struggles in 6th and is often working on empty.  It will be interesting to see how these numbers change throughout the remainder of the year.  For sure, he isn't throwing up stinkers in the 6th, it just looks like he's laboring and competing his butt off to get through.  I expect he improves moving forward.  

Well of course it’s a SSS. He can only have 30-35 6th innings over a full season anyway.

And btw, that is also a little worse after yesterday, when Tate came in and was a debacle as he has been for most of this year.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

I feel like the team as a whole has 6th inning-itis. 

7 hours ago, dystopia said:

Your feeling is correct.  The team has allowed more runs in the 6th than any other inning, and we’ve only outscored opponents 37-35 in that inning (we’ve outscored opponents by 101 runs overall).   

Edited by Frobby

7 hours ago, dystopia said:

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your feeling is correct.  The team has allowed more runs in the 6th than any other inning, and we’ve only outscored opponents 37-35 in that inning (we’ve outscored opponents by 101 runs overall).   

Seems to be a common affliction these days. The 5th and 6th innings are leading the pack for most runs scored in MLB this year: 

• 1st  956
  • 2nd  927
  • 3rd  970
  • 4th  919
  • 5th  991
  • 6th  988
  • 7th  951
  • 8th  881
  • 9th  685
  • Extras  253

Curious if that'll hold up, as it looks like for most of MLB history the 1st and 3rd have been the highest scoring. Last year matched that pattern with the 1st/3rd the only two innings to surpass 2600 runs. 

• Upvote 1

IMHO, Grayson didn’t have his best stuff today, but he pounded the strike zone (73/99 strikes) and didn’t make any huge mistakes.  Came up big when he needed to and gave the bullpen a much needed 7 innings.  Great job.  

• Upvote 1