Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even though I said I was too lazy, I can now hear @Tony-OH going “MOOSE, STATCAST!!!!!!”

You can see his spray chart here:  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jordan-westburg-676059?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Not a lot of homers to the left side, certainly nothing down the LF line. 

So it would've read 6 oppo HRs then (now he has 7). Maybe I just read it wrong...

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even though I said I was too lazy, I can now hear @Tony-OH going “MOOSE, STATCAST!!!!!!”

You can see his spray chart here:  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jordan-westburg-676059?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Not a lot of homers to the left side, certainly nothing down the LF line. 

See, no matter what @RZNJ says about you, you can learn! :D 

There's also something called "Favorites" and a favorite bar where you can keep these sites available for quick reference! ;) 

Back to Westburg, part of the reason he's hit 5 of his homer to RF is that he allows the ball to travel well, but also because they pitch him away a lot. 

image.thumb.png.76d9a50bf79dee9510073ff582aaaf9f.png

Clearly pitchers think they can get him out pitching down and away.

In theory, they are right as his wOBAs are the lowest down and up away. But you better not go middle away because that's his happy oppo homer zone.

image.png.24895d8ce6bce6a459baa354bda176b3.png

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There's also something called "Favorites" and a favorite bar where you can keep these sites available for quick reference! ;) 

Back to Westburg, part of the reason he's hit 5 of his homer to RF is that he allows the ball to travel well, but also because they pitch him away a lot. 

In theory, they are right as his wOBAs are the lowest down and up away. But you better not go middle away because that's his happy oppo homer zone.

That .099 blue zone looks flukey.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

Glad to see it appears he's snapped out of his mini funk, I love this kid, he's such a ballplayer.

My first thought when I first saw him in ST was that he was going to succeed.  It was just an immediate first impression I had of him just watching him play. 

I never agreed that he couldn’t handle third even if the arm isn’t as strong as you prefer. Just seems like the type of guy that will succeed doing whatever they ask of him.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Malike said:

Glad to see it appears he's snapped out of his mini funk, I love this kid, he's such a ballplayer.

100%. Such a great descriptor for Westy, kinda old school in that regard.  Plus he sports the flip down glasses and eye black for day games, coupled with his Johnny Ringo ‘stache, Westy would fit in the 70s (IIRC, Roy likened him to Grich).

image.jpeg.b3df627404ed741c523f8e11aa77acf1.jpeg

image.png.db48c759b3412b850da0118dea158d1c.png

Edited by Say O!
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Say O! said:

100%. Such a great descriptor for Westy, kinda old school in that regard.  Plus he sports the flip down glasses and eye black for day games, coupled with his Johnny Ringo ‘stache, Westy would fit in the 70s (IIRC, Roy likened him to Grich).

A bit of Surhoff too.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

My first thought when I first saw him in ST was that he was going to succeed.  It was just an immediate first impression I had of him just watching him play. 

I never agreed that he couldn’t handle third even if the arm isn’t as strong as you prefer. Just seems like the type of guy that will succeed doing whatever they ask of him.

He's still being overshadowed by all of the other prospects, even Cowser by the media. The Rays guys last night pointed that out and how "quietly" how good he really is. He's so low-key it's easy to forget what he's doing I guess.

Just now, Malike said:

He's still being overshadowed by all of the other prospects, even Cowser by the media. The Rays guys last night pointed that out and how "quietly" how good he really is. He's so low-key it's easy to forget what he's doing I guess.

I haven’t compared him to other guys but he certainly is deserving of AS consideration.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How many times in one day can someone try to pat themselves on the back in one day?  Guess we’ll find out.  Guinness is observing.

Who wanted to trade Westburg?   Wasn’t me.

Sports Guy

Plus Member

Author

Posted January 7

On 1/7/2024 at 8:44 PM,  ChosenOne21 said:

I'd probably do Cowser, Povich, Beavers. I'm guessing that might be slightly more value than Ortiz, but split among two players.

“I think the deal I’m putting on the table is Westburg, Beavers and Povich…I would include a far lesser prospect if I had to get a deal done but that’s the basic premise for me.

Im hoping that Westburg is the lead in the package we trade for a pitcher.”

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I know all about Statcast. Just when I’m on my phone during a game and in the game thread, I don’t like switching tabs to go look at stuff. 

I never claimed I wasn’t lazy. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know all about Statcast. Just when I’m on my phone during a game and in the game thread, I don’t like switching tabs to go look at stuff. 

I never claimed I wasn’t lazy. 🙂

And I never said you couldn’t learn.   At least, I don’t remember saying it.  🙂

• Like 1