Tyler Wells 2024

Jagwar

Really encouraging first start overall, he started with too many fastballs but ended up with a really good pitch mix and used the changeup a lot. I think that’s key for Wells, his changeup is his best pitch IMO and he could benefit from fewer fastballs/cutters. 

Early returns on Stuff+ are a nice bounceback, Wells used to grade very well by that metric but has been trending in the wrong direction each year. He graded 101 on the fastball despite the same velo as last year when it was 93, by the Statcast data looks like it may have been from adding some horizontal movement without sacrificing any vertical movement or spin.

• 2 weeks later...

Wells is one of my favorite guys on the team, so it's been a particular bummer watching him get off to this kind of start to the season.

Through 3 games: 5.87 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 4.68 FIP. 

His FIP is usually on the high side, so are we finally seeing some regression? His velo also looks down (quite a few fastballs at 91) and he isn't exhibiting the good control we're used to from him, although his walks are actually down. His home run rate is about the same as last year. 

There is also a stark difference so far in his statcast page 2023 vs  2024. Obviously small sample though. 

Anyone seeing any light at the end of the tunnel here? Overall it's a pretty worrying picture he's painting. I would even go as far as to say he looks pretty much how he looked when he got a dead arm in the middle of last year. 

Edited by interloper

Strand rate is 59.5%.  Probably trend towards up.

BABIP against is about .100 higher than career norms.  

HH% and pull% are higher than norm in the SSS.

Looks like the 4S getting hit a bit.  Maybe they're ambushing him or a sequencing issue.

Nick Pollack is still a believer.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Wells is one of my favorite guys on the team, so it's been a particular bummer watching him get off to this kind of start to the season.

Through 3 games: 5.87 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 4.68 FIP. 

His FIP is usually on the high side, so are we finally seeing some regression? His velo also looks down (quite a few fastballs at 91) and he isn't exhibiting the good control we're used to from him, although his walks are actually down. His home run rate is about the same as last year. 

There is also a stark difference so far in his statcast page 2023 vs  2024. Obviously small sample though. 

Anyone seeing any light at the end of the tunnel here? Overall it's a pretty worrying picture he's painting. I would even go as far as to say he looks pretty much how he looked when he got a dead arm in the middle of last year. 

Would hope that he'd come out of the gates charging, but it's been the opposite.  

I hope that we're not seeing a regression here but he's always struck me as a guy who didn't have much to regress to...not a high velo guy, so losing a tick or two off the fastball is going to be very hard for him.  

Too early to tell, but the early returns are not good and not encouraging.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would hope that he'd come out of the gates charging, but it's been the opposite.  

I hope that we're not seeing a regression here but he's always struck me as a guy who didn't have much to regress to...not a high velo guy, so losing a tick or two off the fastball is going to be very hard for him.  

Too early to tell, but the early returns are not good and not encouraging.  

Wells needs to be in the bullpen where he can hopefully show a little more velocity.   I think they really need to acquire another starter.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Wells needs to be in the bullpen where he can hopefully show a little more velocity.   I think they really need to acquire another starter.

Yeah, they do but they're gonna wait until they see what they have with Means and Bradish before they do that.  Elias won't part with prospects unless he feels that he absolutely has to.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, they do but they're gonna wait until they see what they have with Means and Bradish before they do that.  Elias won't part with prospects unless he feels that he absolutely has to.

I dunno about you, but I don't have a good feeling about either one of those guys contributing this year.

25 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

His fastball velocity, 92.5 is exactly the same as last year, when he led AL starters in WHIP for 3 months.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

His fastball velocity, 92.5 is exactly the same as last year, when he led AL starters in WHIP for 3 months.

Good to know. I didn't recall so many 91s last year, but it's probably because he was just pitching better. Hopefully it's just an early season funk that he snaps out of. 

• 2 weeks later...