Tyler Wells 2024

Jagwar

26 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Has the time come to stop the starter experiment? I think he's a reliever and he's probably best at less than 75 IP per year. Maybe less. 

Yes. But then again I have been advocating for Wells in the bullpen since 2021. He had a successful full year as a 7th-8th inning guy. Don't fix what ain't broke. That is still a great outcome for a Rule 5 guy. It's always seemed like they are trying to fit a square plug into a round hole.

• Upvote 1

We should get info in the next week or so whether the current stint has/had any Dodgers precautionary to it.    

I agree he's probably made his last start of the year - I think by now even Povich would get used before him as they look to have his help in the bullpen.

I wonder how the financial analyst might weigh Saves going into his ledger if any non-Kimbrel needs to end up gathering many of them.    His Arb1 year anchor point is already set.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, that sucks.  Sounds like he’s weeks away from returning, not days.  

Seems like they are giving him the Means treatment of really delaying things out of caution. It makes some sense though, seeing as it's already kind of crazy trying to fit Means and Bradish and Perez back on this roster. 

By the time Wells is ready, we will probably need him to fill in for an injury somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Has the time come to stop the starter experiment? I think he's a reliever and he's probably best at less than 75 IP per year. Maybe less. 

From a career earnings potential, it would probably be more beneficial for him to step into a late inning potentially high leverage reliever over a 6th or so starter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If he is just playing catch 3 weeks after the injury it seems to be more then minor discomfort or it isnt improving any.  In best case he could be ready by late May early June.  

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Doesn’t sound good.  Still undergoing tests?   

Playing catch is better than being fully shut down. If there was something more serious, he wouldn't be playing catch. I think they're probably continuing to test the level of inflammation to determine when to start ramping him back up? Just guessing. 

There's also no rush to fire him back up, so you might as well take your time with it. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Playing catch is better than being fully shut down. If there was something more serious, he wouldn't be playing catch. I think they're probably continuing to test the level of inflammation to determine when to start ramping him back up? Just guessing. 

There's also no rush to fire him back up, so you might as well take your time with it. 

Exactly, if he had a UCL or labrum tear, they'd know by now and he'd likely have been shut down longer.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Playing catch is next to nothing.  They wouldn’t still be doing tests if it wasn’t clearing up the way they expected it to.   

Just now, RZNJ said:

Playing catch is next to nothing.  They wouldn’t still be doing tests if it wasn’t clearing up the way they expected it to.   

Yeah I guess we'll see soon enough. Sometimes inflammation gets in the way of the testing, so they may want to double check with another test after some of the inflammation goes down.