Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

Just now, Sports Guy said:

An 11 month slump?  My god, Dan Clark is such a moron.

LOL I guess it was a rough holiday season at the Hays house if he just kept slumping right through Christmas. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles need to do something now with Hays. He needs a reset and that reset should be in Norfolk. If Hays doesn't show any sign of resurgence this week then what will it take for the Orioles to intervene?

11 months if you include the off season and just pretend August didn’t happen.  He was awful in July had a very nice August and was slightly bad in September.  This year he was  god awful in March/April in 45 at bats.   May has been ok decent average but no power and he never has walked much.  The loss of power and hard hit ball numbers are a concerning but it has still been about 1 month of at bats.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

11 months if you include the off season and just pretend August didn’t happen.  He was awful in July had a very nice August and was slightly bad in September.  This year he was  god awful in March/April in 45 at bats.   May has been ok decent average but no power and he never has walked much.  The loss of power and hard hit ball numbers are a concerning but it has still been about 1 month of at bats.  

I think I might be somewhat overreacting.  He was obviously sick and fighting injury in March and April so I don't think it's fair to put to much weight on those numbers.  I was thinking he had more at bats since he's been back, but he's only played every 3 days or so.  28 at bats is a small amount to make a big decision on.  O's might just roll with him as 4th OF. 

He and Mullins both have extreme platoon splits (simplifying to OPS):

Hays vs LHP: .747

Hays vs RHP: .228

Mullins vs LHP: .348

Mullins vs RHP: .670

Neither guy has a glove good enough to carry them in the lineup vs the same hand of pitcher.  Each must find their way back via strict platooning. 

I was very happy to see Hays come through with the huge game-tying pinch-hit single tonight.  But….

Did you see his post-game interview?   I’ve never seen him less happy after a win. I think his reduced role and poor performance to date are really weighing on the guy.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was very happy to see Hays come through with the huge game-tying pinch-hit single tonight.  But….

Did you see his post-game interview?   I’ve never seen him less happy after a win. I think his reduced role and poor performance to date are really weighing on the guy.  

I’m sure it’s not easy being asked some of the questions he gets. This is someone who started in the All Star Game last year. He knows he has had a down year. 

On 5/29/2024 at 12:30 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles need to do something now with Hays. He needs a reset and that reset should be in Norfolk. If Hays doesn't show any sign of resurgence this week then what will it take for the Orioles to intervene?

He has already lost playing time. They don’t need to do anything with him. The better he plays the more playing time he gets. 

He has a track record and can play adequate at worst defense. 

• Upvote 1

The #RisingTide doesn't stop when it starts inundating higher value MLB careers.

It is an important decision for the Orioles to get right how many from 0-4 out of Heston Kjerstad, Coby Mayo, Jackson Holliday and Samuel Basallo ought to appear in an October 2024 lineup.     This is likely the singular season Corbin Burnes and Samuel Basallo can contribute cWPA to Baltimore.

With about half the year to year player fluctuations and injury results in view, you can kind of MadLib the Orioles old outfielders that might still be unconstrained starters on other contenders with LF-CF-RF WAA weaknesses, and a medium strong middle reliever on those teams where maybe there is a 2024 balanced Bat for Arm situation.

RF Santander back to Cleveland for Scott Barlow?

CF Mullins to LA Dodgers for Daniel Hudson and/or Blake Treinen?

LF Hays to Minnesota for Jorge Alcala?

Posted (edited)

Putting aside results/outcomes for the moment, but To me, Hays has physically looked stronger/faster these last few appearances (even if sporadic usage) rather than his IMO 80% and constantly banged/nicked up.  I see him continuing to get more comfortable in this limited role and be a real asset as weak side platoon and pinch hitting option.

Edited by Say O!