Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

Another double for Hays tonight, 104 mph.  I believe that’s 7 batted balls of 102+ mph in the last 3 games.   He’s hitting the ball with authority.   

In the small accomplishments category, he got his OPS over .600 tonight, after exceeding the .200 BA threshold yesterday.  Not yet respectable, but creeping towards it at a decent rate of speed.  He has a .926 OPS in 15 games/44 PA since returning from the IL on May 15.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else concerned that Hays will have to be out again because of getting drilled in the ribs?  Probably too soon to tell, but the reaction he had to getting hit there - and the fact it was 90+mph right to them - I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up either day-to-day, back on the IL, or unable to swing fully while toughing it out and therefore regressing from his current "hot streak." 

It's like the guy is cursed, I swear. 

6 minutes ago, justD said:

Anyone else concerned that Hays will have to be out again because of getting drilled in the ribs?  Probably too soon to tell, but the reaction he had to getting hit there - and the fact it was 90+mph right to them - I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up either day-to-day, back on the IL, or unable to swing fully while toughing it out and therefore regressing from his current "hot streak." 

That looked bad.  Nothing he could have done there. 

45 minutes ago, justD said:

If Hays really is hurt then he needs to go on the IL. Orioles can't afford to give Hays at bats when he's less than 100% plus there is more than ample depth to play the outfield.

Hays has been showing some like recently and it would suck to see him sidelined with another nagging injury.

8 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Hays has shown multiple times that he's not a good player when tolerating/dealing with injuries. 

This may be a couple of days type of issue. Not a nagging leg injury 

Hays has shown multiple times that he's not a good player when tolerating/dealing with injuries. 

A basic contrast between the Duquette and Elias teams is that this weekend with one we'd hear Buck rhapsodizing about posting up, and now maybe, maybe, Kyle Stowers will play.

2014 Orioles or 2024 Orioles...who ya got?

Unfortunately, I have to agree that we've seen "less than 100% Hays" and he's not typically good. Hopefully it's just a bruise and it won't affect him too much, but I would not be surprised if he's not starting against Civale tonight. Seems like a great opportunity to start Stowers.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 11:16 PM, Frobby said:

Another double for Hays tonight, 104 mph.  I believe that’s 7 batted balls of 102+ mph in the last 3 games.   He’s hitting the ball with authority.   

In the small accomplishments category, he got his OPS over .600 tonight, after exceeding the .200 BA threshold yesterday.  Not yet respectable, but creeping towards it at a decent rate of speed.  He has a .926 OPS in 15 games/44 PA since returning from the IL on May 15.

Good post. .926 OPS since coming back from the IL. We saw this with Mullins and Mateo last year trying to play through leg injuries. It affected them at the plate big time. 

Edit - I missed the part about him being banged up again. Crap. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Hays returned to the lineup after a few days of nursing his bruised ribs and went 3 for 4, with two of the hits registered at 106.8 and 109.9 mph.  He continues his ascent from hell, now hitting .234/.291/.362.   Not yet respectable, but edging closer.  Since returning from the IL, he’s at .347/.377/.592.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hays returned to the lineup after a few days of nursing his bruised ribs and went 3 for 4, with two of the hits registered at 106.8 and 109.9 mph.  He continues his ascent from hell, now hitting .234/.291/.362.   Not yet respectable, but edging closer.  Since returning from the IL, he’s at .347/.377/.592.

Up to a .653 OPS as well. Heck, after a big game from McCann. The group of Hays, McCann, and Urias, all raised their OPS significant over the last week or so. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Up to a .653 OPS as well. Heck, after a big game from McCann. The group of Hays, McCann, and Urias, all raised their OPS significant over the last week or so. 

Hays has raised his BBref WAR from -0.4 to -0.2. McCann is the only other active O with a negative WAR. -0.1.