Everybody here loves an Oriole win of course...but what would you RATHER have? A laugher or a walk off?

3 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Walkoffs are way more memorable and special.

They are, but they’re also bad for my heart rate! 

Another reason I want more laughers is to pad the Pythag so Fakegraphs doesn’t have an excuse to call us lucky anymore. 

• Haha 1

The hangout survey of last year's favorite game was also my favorite game.  It was the O's/Rays game to clench the playoffs.  It was an edge-of-the-seat, down to the last at-bat game.  It was the most memorable game from the season.  Unless the score is ridiculous or records are broken, the laughers are fun at the moment, but are soon forgotten.  That is why the walk off is better.

38 minutes ago, harp6 said:

The hangout survey of last year's favorite game was also my favorite game.  It was the O's/Rays game to clench the playoffs.  It was an edge-of-the-seat, down to the last at-bat game.  It was the most memorable game from the season.  Unless the score is ridiculous or records are broken, the laughers are fun at the moment, but are soon forgotten.  That is why the walk off is better.

I can barely remember the laughers...I rarely forget the walk offs...Hell, I STILL remember Wilson Benemit's walk off vs Oakland. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Even more than the walk-off HR, I like the baserunner beating the throw to the plate to win a game (scoring from first on a double or from second on a single).  That has all of the drama and excitement baseball has to offer in one play:  the pitcher-batter match-up, the clutch hit,  the speed of the baserunner (provided it's not Sid Bream), the split second decision of the third base coach to send the runner or not, the accuracy of the outfielder's arm, the position of the catcher at the plate, the slide, the dirt flying, the anticipation of the umpire's call, the dramatic spread of the umpire's arms, and the jubilation of the team as they mob both the runner and batter.  That is the entire drama of a game in one play.   It doesn't get any better than that. 

Love the Sid Bream reference--except it was so memorable precisely because he was so slow (combined with the relative anonymity of the game-winning hitter, Francisco Cabrera. That play ("The Slide") even has its own Wikipedia page! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slide_(Atlanta_Braves)

The walk-offs (or The Mountain striking out the last hitter with runners on).  Laughers I usually turn my attention elsewhere, or flat out turn the game off.  But for an evening's entertainment, can't beat a well-played (by both teams) close game that the Orioles win.

17 minutes ago, now said:

Love the Sid Bream reference--except it was so memorable precisely because he was so slow (combined with the relative anonymity of the game-winning hitter, Francisco Cabrera. That play ("The Slide") even has its own Wikipedia page! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slide_(Atlanta_Braves)

Jim Rome used to joke that Bonds' throw was like he threw a whiffleball rather than a baseball.   It was a knock on Bonds' arm from the outfield.

The mix of all types of wins is what makes watching fun over the course of a season. The drama of an intense nail-biter is great, and walk-offs are euphoric, but a good romp (especially over a good opponent) is always a good time. The dramatic walk-offs tend to be what we remember, but I want a balance of all types over 162 games.

9 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Jim Rome used to joke that Bonds' throw was like he threw a whiffleball rather than a baseball.   It was a knock on Bonds' arm from the outfield.

You’d think all those roids would give him

some arm strength. 😁

It’s a great question — and I think my answer evolves as the season goes along. By that I mean, during the AL East title race, once Bautista was hurt — I didn’t care how we won at all, as long as we won. Laugher, luck, steal a win with a weird play/error or a walk off home run, I’ll take it. 

Outside of that, I guess I give a slight edge to the dramatic walk off, like the O’s have done twice this week, compared to the two waffle stomping victories over the Angels to start the season.

McCann’s clutch hit capping a come back after the super long rain delay, was pretty damn cool.

• 3 weeks later...