Dean Kremer 2024

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Kremer got 48 swings and 8 whiffs yesterday.

13 of those swings came on his splitter as well as 6 whiffs.

I knew Kremer had an inconsistent changeup.  Has a replaced the change up with a splitter?   This could be a game changing development.

My biggest takeaway as well. It's categorized as a splitter by Statcast. It is definitely a different pitch from his changeup. Has WAY lower spin, more vertical drop, and less horizontal movement. It's also a tad slower. I had no idea he was working on a Splitter. It's been his best pitch through 2 starts. Something to watch for sure. 

1 minute ago, Conway12 said:

My biggest takeaway as well. It's categorized as a splitter by Statcast. It is definitely a different pitch from his changeup. Has WAY lower spin, more vertical drop, and less horizontal movement. It's also a tad slower. I had no idea he was working on a Splitter. It's been his best pitch through 2 starts. Something to watch for sure. 

Great pitchers make adjustments and add pitches. Look at Gausman after he got to SF, Max Scherzer trying to get Joe Mauer out, etc. Positive encouragement from Kermer. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Kremer got 48 swings and 8 whiffs yesterday.

13 of those swings came on his splitter as well as 6 whiffs.

I knew Kremer had an inconsistent changeup.  Has a replaced the change up with a splitter?   This could be a game changing development.

Curious about this as well.  

26 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Curious about this as well.  

The answer is yes.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/dean-kremer-665152?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

He’s throwing it 18% of the time and hitters are hitting .000 on it so far with an xwOBA of .144.

The Athletic had a good article on the comeback of the Splitter:

https://theathletic.com/5357134/2024/03/21/splitter-pitch-mlb-elbow-injuries/

Edited by ArtVanDelay
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Here's a really interesting video about Dean Kremer's new splitter from Foolish Bailey on Youtube. He makes some really great videos. He starts diving into Dean Kremer's splitter around the 2:00 mark, but the setup is worth a watch as well, so I didn't timestamp it:  https://youtu.be/y0XCOEt5dQQ?si=GA5Y1e239UODQ0tl

The first 2 minutes were rough, but the rest of it was pretty good.  Thanks for sharing.

New Jon Meoli article about Dean's new offering: Jon Meoli: Orioles starter Dean Kremer has a new pitch this year. The early results are promising. - The Baltimore Banner

Kremer doesn’t consider it a big deal, as both it and every other pitch in his arsenal are constant works in progress and it’s really day-dependent on how much or effectively he uses it. t has the potential, though, to grow into much more than that: a true swing-and-miss offering for a pitcher who, while successful in his Orioles career to this point, has felt like he’s searching for one. This new pitch could be a weapon that can be effective against both righties and lefties, which is part of the reason the Orioles organization philosophically favors the pitch.

When it’s working the way Kremer wants it to, the splitter has the potential to boost those whiff and strikeout numbers. Even if it doesn’t, hard contact is rare on the splitter across MLB; league-wide, hitters had a .198 average, a .317 slugging percentage, and a 34.8% whiff rate on the pitch last year.

A Kremer with more whiffs could get very interesting if he can command.

I found it strange that the splitter was barely used vs MIL (<10% usage) when it was Kremer’s best pitch vs PIT (25% usage, 46% WHIFF rate).  Curious to see Kremer’s pitch mix tonight vs KCR. 

Just now, Say O! said:

I found it strange that the splitter was barely used vs MIL (<10% usage) when it was Kremer’s best pitch vs PIT (25% usage, 46% WHIFF rate).  Curious to see Kremer’s pitch mix tonight vs KCR. 

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about him. Every start it's like a totally different pitch mix. Or he'll get a K on a 96 mph heater up in the zone and you never see that pitch again. Or he has a guy 0-2 and chucks a random cutter down the middle. Like... throw a curve in the dirt man! 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about him. Every start it's like a totally different pitch mix. Or he'll get a K on a 96 mph heater up in the zone and you never see that pitch again. Or he has a guy 0-2 and chucks a random cutter down the middle. Like... throw a curve in the dirt man! 

Well, I wouldn’t assume changes in pitch mix from game to game are entirely on Kremer.   He goes to the mound with a game plan that has been developed by the coaches and front office and the catcher is heavily involved as well.   I don’t think Kremer just goes out there and says “I think I’ll ditch what worked last time.”

Just now, Frobby said:

Well, I wouldn’t assume changes in pitch mix from game to game are entirely on Kremer.   He goes to the mound with a game plan that has been developed by the coaches and front office and the catcher is heavily involved as well.   I don’t think Kremer just goes out there and says “I think I’ll ditch what worked last time.”

I mean you're right, but it never seems like he adjusts quickly enough within the start to me. For whatever reason I have an easier time pointing to obvious things that went wrong in his starts than other guys. It might be in my head, who knows. He's one of those guys that just seems like he should be better than he is, even though he's already pretty good. You can see a few things he could do differently to get to the next level, but he's kind of plateaued at his current level. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean you're right, but it never seems like he adjusts quickly enough within the start to me. For whatever reason I have an easier time pointing to obvious things that went wrong in his starts than other guys. It might be in my head, who knows. He's one of those guys that just seems like he should be better than he is, even though he's already pretty good. You can see a few things he could do differently to get to the next level, but he's kind of plateaued at his current level. 

My big problem with Kremer is that sometimes he falls in love with the cutter too much.  It’s a good pitch but he can’t throw it six times in a row like he does sometimes.  I’m hoping he’ll learn some stuff watching Burnes, who obviously throws a lot of cutters but mixes his pitches very well.  

• Upvote 1