Colton Cowser 2024

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Right, I'm not saying he's been a net zero all year, but since April 15th he's been quite bad with the bat, I mean, we all watch the games and see the same thing the numbers show. Hopefully, he adjusts to all of the changeups he's getting fed, because in protecting against them he's just been behind on almost all of the fastballs he sees and flicking them foul.

I agree his timing is way off. I still like the fact that he doesn’t chase much and usually makes the pitcher work even if the results haven’t been there the past month. Would still much rather see Cowser versus righties than Hays going forward. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I agree his timing is way off. I still like the fact that he doesn’t chase much and usually makes the pitcher work even if the results haven’t been there the past month. Would still much rather see Cowser versus righties than Hays going forward. 

I'd honestly rather see him vs both, there needs to be a bigger sample than 28 days to see if he can make the adjustments back, but I'm certain Hays will get time against LHP.

Edited by Malike

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

Right, I'm not saying he's been a net zero all year, but since April 15th he's been quite bad with the bat, I mean, we all watch the games and see the same thing the numbers show. Hopefully, he adjusts to all of the changeups he's getting fed, because in protecting against them he's just been behind on almost all of the fastballs he sees and flicking them foul.

He’s hit into a lot of bad luck lately.  On Saturday, he hit 4 balls with an average EV of 94 and got zilch.  In his last 14 games, 3 separate games, on At least 3 in play he averaged an EV over 100 mph and had 1 single to show for it.   The numbers might be atrocious but the quality of contact hasn’t been.

56 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's got a 38 OPS+ in that time with a .564 OPS. His defense is carrying his WAR right now. I'll stand by my statement that his bat is atrocious, right now. Since April 15th his WRC+ is 68, and his K% is 35.4%.

The results are atrocious..disagree that the bat is.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd honestly rather see him vs both, there needs to be a bigger sample than 28 days to see if he can make the adjustments back, but I'm certain Hays will get time against LHP.

Agree he’s still been above league average vs LHP’s too. Honestly, Mullins should sit vs LHP’s and if Hays plays against RHP’s it should be for Santander if he keeps struggling from the left side of the plate. Santander was good last year from the left side, but other than that has been close to league average or below since 2021. 

I doubt Santander sits (and I would rather he stay in there than Hays) but if Hays is playing against a RHP it shouldn’t be for Cowser. He should be an every day guy for the most part.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm fine with being patient when he's slumping like this but looking at a fastball down the middle in extra innings is pretty inexcusable.  

He's looking for nothing but changeups.

Ouch!  Right down the middle.   What a contrast in at bats.  Westburg rarely has a bad one.  Cowser has some head scratchers.    Sitting on a slider 1-2.   Really?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm fine with being patient when he's slumping like this but looking at a fastball down the middle in extra innings is pretty inexcusable.  

Lotta people looking for the receipts on their cow costumes.

• Haha 1

Platoon side advantage or not, we can’t keep running out both Cowser and Mullins in the same lineup. They are both almost automatic outs right now. Them both coming up in the same inning is almost non-competitive. Literally giving away 3 of your 9 innings.