Colton Cowser 2024

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

So clever.  And yet, so demonstrably dense that the minutest of details need to be explained to you in detail before you can follow along.

It’s pretty simple.  You said something stupid and it took about three pages for you to clarify that you actually meant something else just as stupid.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

You don’t have to prove anything.  Your original OPINION was that Cowser decided not to swing before the pitch.  Is that still your opinion?

I doubt that Cowser has thought as much about this swing decision as the Hangout has by a factor of 10.

I certainly don't believe Cowser decided not to swing before the third strike curveball was thrown. 

I do think that Cowser was guessing that pitch would be another curveball low and away in the dirt.  

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I certainly don't believe Cowser decided not to swing before the third strike curveball was thrown. 

I do think that Cowser was guessing that pitch would be another curveball low and away in the dirt.  

I was thinking another fastball up and in but you may be right.

I'm pretty happy with how Cowser has played so far. He's going to strike out, we know that, but he does look more comfortable and assertive at the plate. 

Most importantly though, he looks good defensively. So much more confident out there in the small sample we've seen. He's not going to be perfect, but he looks way more comfortable on defense than last year.

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm pretty happy with how Cowser has played so far. He's going to strike out, we know that, but he does look more comfortable and assertive at the plate. 

Most importantly though, he looks good defensively. So much more confident out there in the small sample we've seen. He's not going to be perfect, but he looks way more comfortable on defense than last year.

Good take.  He definitely looks more aggressive.  He got caught in the "being to selective" trap that Gunnar and Adley got into when they were first called up.  The umps make you earn those borderline calls up here.  Hopefully, that starts changing for the whole team.  

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good take.  He definitely looks more aggressive.  He got caught in the "being to selective" trap that Gunnar and Adley got into when they were first called up.  The umps make you earn those borderline calls up here.  Hopefully, that starts changing for the whole team.  

I wouldn't call that pitch borderline at all. I don't blame him for not swinging at it, it was filthy and clearly not what he was expecting.

Just now, Malike said:

I wouldn't call that pitch borderline at all. I don't blame him for not swinging at it, it was filthy and clearly not what he was expecting.

Not specifically that pitch.  In general, Gunnar was taking too many borderline pitches last year and struggled.  Cowser did the same last year when he got called up.  Cowser looks more aggressive.  I'd rather him strike out like that then be down 0-2, 1-2 every count.  

I hope we will start to get some more rep from the umps and start getting more borderline calls.  

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

It was bottom of the zone.  Isn’t that borderline?  A few inches lower and it’s a ball.   Lot’s of hitters get caught looking but he shouldn’t have been surprised by a curveball.  I’d say pretty poor guess if he wasn’t expecting it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

It was bottom of the zone.  Isn’t that borderline?  A few inches lower and it’s a ball.   Lot’s of hitters get caught looking but he shouldn’t have been surprised by a curveball.  I’d say pretty poor guess if he wasn’t expecting it.

The entire ball was in the box. It wasn't close to being too low. Cowser didn't like it, nobody would.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

The entire ball was in the box. It wasn't close to being too low. Cowser didn't like it, nobody would.

The bottom of the ball is touching the line but let’s not argue what constitutes a borderline pitch.    The batter doesn’t have to like the pitch.  If he has 2 strikes he needs to try and hit the ball.   To say you don’t blame him for not swinging at the pitch seems to imply even with 2 strikes batters should  just swing at pitches they like.   Are you related to Pickles?

• Upvote 1

Hey Brandon Hyde, how about this for a development program: if you make a bad swing decision, you're assigned homework to read the five page OH discussion about it. We will see flawless hitting in no time. 

• Haha 1