Colton Cowser 2024

1 minute ago, deward said:

You can make a case for keeping Santander here on a 3-4 year deal, and trading Kjerstad for another asset. Not saying that's what they'll do, but I could understand it being considered as an option.

I wouldn’t want to be the one to make that case.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. Your comment still confuses me.  It’s not a new approach.  He’s already sacrificed contact to tap into the power.

He's definitely got plus raw power, we just have to see if he can tap into it regularly without sacrificing his contact rate. 

"He's definitely shown plus raw power in the minors, we just have to see if he can tap into it regularly against major league pitching without sacrificing his contact rate."

Better?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The possibility exists.  Maybe they've offered something of value but Elias disagreed.

I do believe Elias is a bit of a hoarder when it comes to prospects/talent.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm not mad at it at all...I mean, look where we are, it's hard to argue with the results.  

I also don't get mad and think that Stowers and Kjerstad are somehow being screwed over. 

I’m not mad about it… but I am concerned they’re just rotting down there. They’d be on a big league club anywhere else and that sucks for them. 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I’m not mad about it… but I am concerned they’re just rotting down there. They’d be on a big league club anywhere else and that sucks for them. 

It does, but they're also playing pro ball and have some good money in their pockets (assuming they haven't blown it all).

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The possibility exists.  Maybe they've offered something of value but Elias disagreed.

I do believe Elias is a bit of a hoarder when it comes to prospects/talent.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm not mad at it at all...I mean, look where we are, it's hard to argue with the results.  

I also don't get mad and think that Stowers and Kjerstad are somehow being screwed over. 

I think Elias would like nothing more than another ML team come and offer him a competitive balance pick or some lower level decent prospect for Stowers.  I’m surprised Stowers hasn’t been traded which leads me to believe there isn’t much interest.   

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

It does suck for them, just like it sucks for Connor Norby and Coby Mayo, all of which would be starting in the majors elsewhere. 

But for the organization, it's a good problem to have. Does it suck for them, sure, but the well is not exactly flowing after the AAA guys. Not saying their aren't interesting guys, but not a lot of "impact" offensive players in Double-A and below yet. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think Elias would like nothing more than another ML team come and offer him a competitive balance pick or some lower level decent prospect for Stowers.  I’m surprised Stowers hasn’t been traded which leads me to believe there isn’t much interest.   

Probably.  

5 minutes ago, deward said:

"He's definitely shown plus raw power in the minors, we just have to see if he can tap into it regularly against major league pitching without sacrificing his contact rate."

Better?

He’s going to strike out a lot.  He struck out a lot last year without tapping into his power.  The power this year isn’t at the expense of contact.  He’s just more relaxed, more confident, and more aggressive earlier in the count.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s going to strike out a lot.  He struck out a lot last year without tapping into his power.  The power this year isn’t at the expense of contact.  He’s just more relaxed, more confident, and more aggressive earlier in the count.

He's also just not missing the pitches he can hit. Compared to a lot of guys in the lineup right now who, IMO, are close but juuuust not quite getting the barrel on hittable pitches yet. 

27 minutes ago, deward said:

What if you could trade Kjerstad for the next Cole Ragans? 

I still wouldn't sign Santander for 3-4 more years. We'd still have Stowers and Beavers in the pipeline, and the potential for Mayo to be RF/DH

Edited by DirtyBird

33 minutes ago, deward said:

You can make a case for keeping Santander here on a 3-4 year deal, and trading Kjerstad for another asset. Not saying that's what they'll do, but I could understand it being considered as an option.

Santander does not get a long-term deal from us with the talent in the pipeline.  Not only that, our long-term contract priorities are Adley/Gunnar/Holliday/GrayRod/Bradish/other young talent TBD, not Santander.  A 3 or 4 year contract would could create a logjam both roster-wise and financially.