I dont know if Im allowed to talk about the Tides on this page....but Stowers is ridiculous and so is Kjerstad

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get that feeling too, but it is what it is.  Some of these guys are going to be traded, some of these guys are going to be squeezed out.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  There simply isn't enough room for everyone.

I don't have an issue with it, unless there's a chance that Norby could be better than Westburg or that Stowers could be better than Cowser. I don't know that anyone here has ever considered either to be a likely scenario, but when we're trading some guys and keeping others, obviously the hope is we're keeping the right ones. Not that I hope the guys we trade away go somewhere else and flop, just that they don't stay here and flop.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

True, but I think they're building value right now. I think that's another reason why they might not see the big club; don't want to risk slashing their value even in a small sample size. For now, it's all potential.

I don't think they are.

Not by much.

Teams aren't going to go all gaga over a hot stretch by a 26 year old with 800 PA in AAA.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they are.

Not by much.

Teams aren't going to go all gaga over a hot stretch by a 26 year old with 800 PA in AAA.

Not today. But if they keep up a 1.000+ OPS through mid July, that could change. It almost has to to some extent. 

Yeah Norfolk has at least 5 guys who could hit major league pitching right now, its so obvious how talented they are. if other teams dont want to trade pitching for Norby and Stowers thats on them. They are showing their ready. 

5 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Not today. But if they keep up a 1.000+ OPS through mid July, that could change. It almost has to to some extent. 

I think teams are pretty smart overall and aren't likely to be unduly swayed by what is happening in Norfolk.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think teams are pretty smart overall and aren't likely to be unduly swayed by what is happening in Norfolk.

So if you aren't paying attention to a player's performance to assess value, what are you paying attention to? I'm also not suggesting that Stowers or Norby are going to bring back y2k Mariano Rivera, but they ought to bring back someone useful. 

9 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

So if you aren't paying attention to a player's performance to assess value, what are you paying attention to? I'm also not suggesting that Stowers or Norby are going to bring back y2k Mariano Rivera, but they ought to bring back someone useful. 

I think they are looking at his tools and his career to date.

I didn't say they were going to not look at the additional data, I just don't think they will give it will have an outsized impact on their evaluation.

In other words, Stowers and Norby have enough of a track record that a hot streak repeating AAA isn't going to spike their value over where it was in the offseason.

Edited by Can_of_corn
Used wrong word.

This lineup is great protection for each other and especially Jackson Holiday.  No one can tell the pitchers "dont let that kid beat us" and bear down on Jackson or give him slop.  You cant do that because the next five guys will jump up and snatch your soul if you make a  mistake.   

I would be tempted to move on from Hays and bring Kjerstad up.  I would bring Holiday up also.  

Can anyone remember any time in Oriole history after Mike Boddicker that the Orioles couldnt find a place for a true prospect?  In my experience whenever a kid looked good in the last fourty years they could make room.  

I dont think the Orioles bring back Santander or Hays for next year so we will have TWO spots next spring.   I am almost certain both are gone.  

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they are.

Not by much.

Yup.  Stowers and Norby have more value to us then they bring back in a trade.  Like you said, It's not Elias' job to find his players jobs on other teams 26 man rosters.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

36 times on base.  I'm surprised they didn't use subs.  Could get tiring running all those bases.  Greedy Holliday having to get 2 walks when I'm sure he could have had 2 hits.

At first, I was surprised that they did not use subs, either.  But as some have said in their post here, the O's want to showcase some of their AAA players for possible trades.  I also think the O's want the other players that might get called up to get as much experience as possible.  So why put a sub in for a player that you want playing as much as possible for experience or for trade.

It will be an interesting trade deadline.  I think they waited to make trades because they know that these young players value will increase by the deadline.  It will also be interesting to see if the Orioles trade a veteran player at some point to make room for a prospect.  A veteran trade may be able to get a strong reliever or possibly include them in a package to get a starter.  

Would you trade a veteran outfielder or infielder to a potential playoff team for a reliever or starter knowing that you are giving the playoff team a player to plug into a hole in their lineup?

Just now, harp6 said:

At first, I was surprised that they did not use subs, either.  But as some have said in their post here, the O's want to showcase some of their AAA players for possible trades.  I also think the O's want the other players that might get called up to get as much experience as possible.  So why put a sub in for a player that you want playing as much as possible for experience or for trade.

It will be an interesting trade deadline.  I think they waited to make trades because they know that these young players value will increase by the deadline.  It will also be interesting to see if the Orioles trade a veteran player at some point to make room for a prospect.  A veteran trade may be able to get a strong reliever or possibly include them in a package to get a starter.  

Would you trade a veteran outfielder or infielder to a potential playoff team for a reliever or starter knowing that you are giving the playoff team a player to plug into a hole in their lineup?

If you are a GM of a rival team do you suddenly give up more for Stowers or Norby?

And yes I would, if it helped my team.  You give up quality to get quality.  You can't trade scared.

12 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Stowers had THREE HR tonight and Heston had TWO!! the Tides lineup is insane...The TIDES won 26-11 over Charlotte..Holliday had 4 hits..he's hitting .400...Norby had 2 hits..he's hitting.435..Kjerstad is hitting .583...Mayo is at .385...Stowers is .400..even Burdick....375...Its very early of course..but I've never seen so many great hitting prospects in one lineup..im excited about the future...I dont know where they will all play, but some of these guys will be keepers..and maybe great ones too...we could have used those hitters early tonight...

I am glad to see all the position prospects/young players performing well at the plate. (It sure beats the alternative!)

However, I am not particularly impressed to see players who are repeating a level (some for the THIRD) doing well at ANY level. 

IMO our AAA lineup’s early season video game numbers speaks more about Elias’ hoarding talent philosophy/strategy and his extreme caution, more than anything else.

These players success shows that they don’t believe at that level and are not really being challenged from inferior competition, which does not really excite me. The logjam at AAA and our inability/apprehension with getting rid of guys at the Major League level who are not particularly useful for a World Series contender is more concerning to me.

30 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I am glad to see all the position prospects/young players performing well at the plate. (It sure beats the alternative!)

However, I am not particularly impressed to see players who are repeating a level (some for the THIRD) doing well at ANY level. 

IMO our AAA lineup’s early season video game numbers speaks more about Elias’ hoarding talent philosophy/strategy and his extreme caution, more than anything else.

These players success shows that they don’t believe at that level and are not really being challenged from inferior competition, which does not really excite me. The logjam at AAA and our inability/apprehension with getting rid of guys at the Major League level who are not particularly useful for a World Series contender is more concerning to me.

Is it really hoarding though?  Stowers is set to be at least our 4th OF next year.  Norby will be a RH compliment 5th IF/OF.  Kjerstad is a 1-1 replacement for O'Hearn.  They have roles, just not this year.  

If a package of Kjerstad, Stowers, and Norby, was desirable by other teams, then we would have Dylan Cease.  The same with Santa.  The same with Hays.  They're worth more to us than what they would bring back in a deal.  

Appreciate the depth.  Only an injury to Adley would really hurt us.  knock on wood.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is it really hoarding though?  Stowers is set to be at least our 4th OF next year.  Norby will be a RH compliment 5th IF/OF.  Kjerstad is a 1-1 replacement for O'Hearn.  They have roles, just not this year.  

If a package of Kjerstad, Stowers, and Norby, was desirable by other teams, then we would have Dylan Cease.  The same with Santa.  The same with Hays.  They're worth more to us than what they would bring back in a deal.  

Appreciate the depth.  Only an injury to Adley would really hurt us.  knock on wood.

To answer your first question, yes it is hoarding and it also is indicative of a philosophy of asset management that is overly caution IMO.

A Stowers will be what 27 next year? Kjerstad 26? Meaning we get no value (ZERO) for the Orioles during part of their prime. In Stowers case he could be in decline in 2/3 years. 

That is not a great way to handle people/player’s careers. I see a very strong likelihood of repercussions/ripple effect because of this.