Brandon Hyde 2024

7 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Re: pinch hitting for Mullins…Rays had lefty warming in the pen so PH O’Hearn is same side match up, so with Os leading at the time, I agree with Hyde saving OHearn for pinch hit appearance later in the game if needed. 

Re: DC in the 8th, I agree with you there.  More so bc Tate threw 14 pitches yesterday and threw 8 today in the 7th inning already.  Why have him go multiple innings in two consecutive days?

All I can think is that Hyde did not want Coulombe to throw more than an inning today, if at all.  Otherwise, Coulombe is most likely not available tomorrow.  Not saying it was the right move (non-move), but I can understand the thinking.

The bigger problem is the only other reliever available is Vieira.  The FO assumed everyone would be healthy, which was a mistake.  They did not improve the bullpen at the beginning of the season merely by signing Kimbrel.  The bullpen is certainly weaker this season with no other trades, no other free agents brought in, and no one ready in the minors. 

So Hyde is stuck with a bullpen that feels like it's weaker than it was in April.  The silver lining has been Kimbrel of late, who I admit I thought was done.  He's not who he used to be but can get the job done when used right.

33 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Not pinch hitting O’Hearn for Mullins with runners on 2nd and 3rd and not giving DC the 8th after he was off yesterday seemed like major blunders.

I was okay starting with Tate in the 8th, but he should have been yanked at the first sign of trouble.  It was a bit tough because TB had stacked their lineup with RHB.   I’m not going to call it the worst decision ever, but it sure blew up in Hyde’s face. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was okay starting with Tate in the 8th, but he should have been yanked at the first sign of trouble.  It was a bit tough because TB had stacked their lineup with RHB.   I’m not going to call it the worst decision ever, but it sure blew up in Hyde’s face. 

That 92 MPH pitch Siri hit for the double wasn't very competitive.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Been a while since you messed with me eh?

Sorry don't feel like playing, listening to that live show from Pentagle.

Go sniff around another tree.

That’s what I thought.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree, but I think the bigger issue is having a tired bullpen and still having Viera on the team. 

Elias need to give Hyde better options.

Agreed they were one reliever short I thought even with Baumann(even though I don’t trust him much), now with Viera they are 2 guys short.  That was a downgrade though they must think they can get him fixed enough to have him help out later on.  Perez has pitched well so that is a big help but still another guy is needed for times like today.  I do think they might add Lopez if they can claim him on waivers who is better option then Viera imo.  

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Agreed they were one reliever short I thought even with Baumann(even though I don’t trust him much), now with Viera they are 2 guys short.  That was a downgrade though they must think they can get him fixed enough to have him help out later on.  Perez has pitched well so that is a big help but still another guy is needed for times like today.  I do think they might add Lopez if they can claim him on waivers who is better option then Viera imo.  

The Orioles know Lopez better than me, but I have concerns about his mental state after his hissy fit that got him DFA'd.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles know Lopez better than me, but I have concerns about his mental state after his hissy fit that got him DFA'd.

It was a hissy fit for sure, but that dude is going through some things with his kid. I think there's a surgery coming up for his boy. Who wouldn't be a wreck in a similar situation?

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Are we really sure that Vieira would be claimed.  I remember the O's have hung on to guys for dear life and then when they are DFA'ed, no one wants them.

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Are we really sure that Vieira would be claimed.  I remember the O's have hung on to guys for dear life and then when they are DFA'ed, no one wants them.

Probably another week at best. Kremer is due back I think next weekend, their treating him like a Rule 5 pick up(stash him) and were now way past that crap, use him or move on.

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

It was a hissy fit for sure, but that dude is going through some things with his kid. I think there's a surgery coming up for his boy. Who wouldn't be a wreck in a similar situation?

Again, I'm don't know everything about him, and I appreciate that Elias and the Orioles know him much better than I do, but I do have some concerns that whatever he's going through may make his performance volatile. 

Is he better than Viera (who I just don't understand why the Orioles are eating a roster spot for), sure, but the Orioles are big on their clubhouse atmosphere and if Lopez is not a fit for whatever reason, I'm ok with them passing on him. If they think it's not an issue, then I'm ok with them bringing him on.

Either way, they can't keep going into series down a reliever as long as Viera can only pitch in mop up roles.

• Upvote 1

A couple thoughts….

Jorge Lopez’s son has some serious issues and is on a transplant list. This is why he went on the IL in Minnesota for mental health reasons. 

It’s hard to blame Hyde for any bullpen decisions considering the pen 10.1 IP scoreless the over Friday and Saturday. 

The last spot of the pen needs to be used with this team. I prefer the Norfolk Shuttle nightly versus even my boy Jorge Lopez. Krook, Baker, etc… are not projects. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The last spot of the pen needs to be used with this team. I prefer the Norfolk Shuttle nightly versus even my boy Jorge Lopez. Krook, Baker, etc… are not projects. 

Krook posted great stats in May. Being left handed, I doubt they see him as a 1 for 1 replacement for Vieira. A possible call up for Akin, to give him a light load and rest for 10 days, maybe. But I don't think they'd want to lose Akin for 10 games.