If you could change/update/renovate a few things at Camden Yards...what would you do?

DrLev

Don't allow NY or B hats through the gates. Maybe a couple out of respect but not thousands. ;)

Orrrr.....allow every O's fan one shot at taking out 12 years of anguish and torment on a NY or B hat with no retribution. Please. Just one....I'll get my money's worth. LOL

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only complaint I have with Camden Yards is that unlike most stadiums that came after it, you cannot see the field from the concourse.

I'm pretty sure the space constraints placed on the ballpark prevented them from doing this without lowering the seating capacity substantially or making the upper deck really high up from the field. I recall hearing/reading that they did in fact look into having an open concourse but eventually decided against it in the interests of space and a unified design.

Open concourses necessitate really long seating sections in the lower deck to maintain capacity.In today's climate of not using much cantilevering, that pushes the upper deck really far back from the field. Frankly, I think split upper decks look atrocious as they completely break up what ought to be an imposing sea of cheap-seat dwellers.

Some numbers for reference:

The plot of land Citizens Bank Park is on measures ~1000 ft x 850 ft = 850,000 sq ft.

The plot of land Nationals Park sits on (one side is oblique, so measuring from the middle) measures 1100 ft x 850 ft = 935,000 sq ft.

The plot of land OPACY sits on measures ~ 900 ft X 700 ft = 630,000 sq ft.

That's just a hair over 25% less space than Citizens Bank Park and 33% less than Nationals Park.

Not the first thing, but an idea that hasn't been mentioned.

Natty Boh inside the stadium. Make it like the free flowing Old Style at Cubs games...

Agreed on the Natty Boh. Excellent call. In a completely opposite vein, I'd also advocate for more places to get premium beers than just the few stands they now have. Probably bad timing for that.

I agree with Moose about the Bromo Seltzer Tower, but I guess we can't change that.

I would like to see the ushers be more strict against the opposing moron fans for doing stuff that we O's fans would never get away with.

And I would like to see Boog expand his stand so we can enjoy the savory deliciousness of his BBQ just that much quicker. :D

Agreed on the Natty Boh. Excellent call. In a completely opposite vein, I'd also advocate for more places to get premium beers than just the few stands they now have. Probably bad timing for that.

Also agreed on Boh. There used to be a kiosk on Eutaw Street that sold $5 cans, but they no longer sell it there anymore. The new hotel obviously sucks.

Guest rbrhett
Mount some old fashioned steam whistles to the warehouse and let them blow whenever the O's hit a home run. They make a cool sound and it fits in with Camden Yards being an old railroad sight.

Nice idea. I think this is the most original of the bunch. They should be LOUD!

I haven't been to the Yard since 1997, so I don't really have much to add. I stopped buying the MLB Ticket on Directv years ago, so honestly, I have not seen the park or stepped inside in probably six or seven years.

I think the thing that made the Os interesting for fans was the blue collar atmosphere. It has not had it since OPACY was opened in 1992. Baltimore is a working class town, or at least it used to be in the 70s and 80s. Bringing back some of that life would be the most suitable improvement.

I will say I think the Os set the standard for modern ballparks, but now it seems they are never original.

Try to arrange for the fences in left center to be moved back about 10-15 feet.

This would probably be tough because of the bullpens. Even 10 feet would probably take away one of the Orioles' mounds. They would have to do some significant construction work to back them up into the bullpen party area.

This would probably be tough because of the bullpens. Even 10 feet would probably take away one of the Orioles' mounds. They would have to do some significant construction work to back them up into the bullpen party area.

Agreed... but if it could be arranged, I'd like to see that happen. :)

Nice idea. I think this is the most original of the bunch. They should be LOUD!

I haven't been to the Yard since 1997, so I don't really have much to add. I stopped buying the MLB Ticket on Directv years ago, so honestly, I have not seen the park or stepped inside in probably six or seven years.

I think the thing that made the Os interesting for fans was the blue collar atmosphere. It has not had it since OPACY was opened in 1992. Baltimore is a working class town, or at least it used to be in the 70s and 80s. Bringing back some of that life would be the most suitable improvement.

I will say I think the Os set the standard for modern ballparks, but now it seems they are never original.

Thanks, and yes, they should be LOUD. I just sent the Orioles my suggestion.

Archived